Gen 2 Front Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LHENEY

Reaction score
Posting on here after posting elsewhere and searching for someone with a similar problem with no luck.

I have a 2019 802a SCREW with Eibach front springs, icon rear leafs, and 37s. The truck has 130,000km. I drive it 80% highway for work.

Story time.

I have had every common Gen 2 Raptor problem known to man; sunroof, cam phasers, transmission, oil pan, heads, and MULTIPLE IWE repairs. After the 4th IWE repair, my local dealer said that the new order from Ford is to block off the system by capping the vacuum line at the firewall in hopes of eliminating the problem for good. I had this done and had zero issues with the IWE/4WD system in the truck since then.

Fast forward 6 months… I have a clunk coming through the pedal seemingly coming from the drivers side front that is speed dependent. It happens at all speeds but frequency changes. The clunk happens in 2WD while I am accelerating and goes away while coasting. It happens also while in 4a while coasting but goes away while accelerating.

I have no extended warranty as I drive 60,000km/year and would have burned through the kilometre cap almost immediately. My dealer seems to be stumped as to what it is.

Just to note, I have no “authorized” Raptor dealer within 1000km of me so they don’t work on these things on a regular basis. I fear that the IWE “delete” they did may have caused damage to my torsen differential.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

jp4lsu

Reaction score
I read through this post the other day. Might be worth looking at.
Front Clunk

Also, Forged Offroad recommends changing the upper shock/strut mount when rebuilding the shocks. I was curious if people have had issues with the strut mount and if it makes a clunking sound when going bad. I haven't seen a lot of discussion about these getting changed at each shock rebuild. Might look into that as well.

OP
OP
LHENEY

LHENEY

Reaction score
I read through this post the other day. Might be worth looking at.
Front Clunk

Also, Forged Offroad recommends changing the upper shock/strut mount when rebuilding the shocks. I was curious if people have had issues with the strut mount and if it makes a clunking sound when going bad. I haven't seen a lot of discussion about these getting changed at each shock rebuild. Might look into that as well.
This is another annoying noise which the Raptors just seem to produce. However, mine noise has nothing to do with suspension articulation or the shocks. It is 100% related to wheel speed and happens regardless of road conditions.

jp4lsu

Reaction score
Ok, gotcha. I have a question about the IWE ordeal. The vacuum holds the IWE from engaging in 4wd. Blocking the vacuum would allow the IWE to engage. I'm new to the Raptor but at least that is how my old 2006 Lariat worked. On the 2006 Lariat I thought I had a bad IWE and went to change it, but then I figured out it was a leak in the vacuum line. This allowed the IWE to partially engage and rub.

jp4lsu

Reaction score
Back to your "clunk"....Is it one clunk when you accelerate?
You sure it is not your slip yoke that so many have an issue with?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are no “common issues” with oil pans on 2019s, nor are there any “head” issues on any Gen 2.

IWE is a basic vacuum system. The fact that the dealer couldn’t diagnose and repair it properly is pathetic. The Workshop Manual provides extensive diagnostics to pinpoint the root cause of the issue.

The TSB to block off the IWE vacuum lines does NOT apply to Raptor. This is clearly stated in the bulletin. The dealer was looking for an easy way out instead of property repairing the issue.

As far as the clunk noise, I would start by inspecting the shock tower upper nuts for proper torque. Note that they are one-time use fasteners, they are required to be replaced once removed. Most shops will reuse them, which can cause them to loosen over time.