Gen 2 Front and rear shocks on Gen 1 Raptor DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a terrible idea. You LOSE wheel travel due to the longer length of the gen2 shocks. You can run on the street OK with them, but you should avoid anything off-road more severe than a flower bed. There are also binding issues with the front shocks and the springs and the upper control arm where the shock becomes the bump stop.

You'll also notice that the OP on this thread is long gone, not seen in over a year. Probably he took the truck out and tried to wheel it and ended up with a wrecked suspension. These Gen2 into Gen1 threads all died out for a good reason. It doesn't work.

It would seem like a good cheap way to go, but in this case, cheap=bad.

Where is the “full bump” with oe shocks vs gen 2 shocks?

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the KHC mod corrects the known issue of running Gen2 shocks on a Gen1,
I love when an expert in suspension tech comes to our rescue and tries to saves us from trying something outside the box. The reason those threads went away is because none of the catastrophic failures that were predicted ever materialized. A giant nothing burger.

Is this mod for everyone? No but if you don't have access to lots of cash and want to upgrade to FOX 3.0's this is a way to do it for about a tenth of the cost.

The verdict is still not clear on the electrified version of these shocks but it looks promising.

Well, I've been on here long enough, and done enough research to know that cramming too long of a shock into too short of a space is a bad idea....And I DONT have access to tons of cash LOL....I'm a drywall guy for Chrissakes.

There are guys on here who've been here for a long time, and they're worth following....RDFTS, Smurfslayer, Zombiekiller, a few others also...listening to those guys will save you tons of money.

Maybe the KHC mod corrects the known issue of running Gen2 shocks on a Gen1, namely, trying to cram too long of a shock into too short of a space.....might even think on it myself, (if it works...)!

Thanks Rick!

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love when an expert in suspension tech comes to our rescue and tries to saves us from trying something outside the box. The reason those threads went away is because none of the catastrophic failures that were predicted ever materialized. A giant nothing burger.

Is this mod for everyone? No but if you don't have access to lots of cash and want to upgrade to FOX 3.0's this is a way to do it for about a tenth of the cost.

The verdict is still not clear on the electrified version of these shocks but it looks promising.

The reason those threads went away is because it is a bad idea. The gen 2 shock is too long and it will destroy your axles. As rick mentioned khc makes a conversion bucket which essentially raises the top hat mounting point up two inches. That is a great idea. However those new buckets are 500 and whatever price you pay for the gen 2 shocks, and if you don’t install yourself...you might as well get the 3.0s (with remote). even if it is a little more, it’s a far superior shock.
The live valve would be fun to get working on a gen 1 ( or older gen 2). You would just need to figure out how they control it, whether is resistance or voltage then add a potentiometer dial and boom adjustable shocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've put 40K miles on these Gen2 2018 shocks with zero issues. These shocks are on a DD Gen 1 that has almost 160k now. The compliments I get from passengers about how comfortable the ride is in the Raptor is proof enough that the Gen2's don't ride like crap.

Would I do this mod again? In a heartbeat but I doubt I can find another set of new takeoff shocks for what I paid for this set.

1GRaptor

Reaction score
I know this post is a year old, but hear me out. Gen 1 raptor, KHC buckets, gen 2 live valve(oe or aftermarket) SDI E click... add a blower and supporting mods and have a true TRX slayer..boom

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason those threads went away is because it is a bad idea. The gen 2 shock is too long and it will destroy your axles. As rick mentioned khc makes a conversion bucket which essentially raises the top hat mounting point up two inches. That is a great idea. However those new buckets are 500 and whatever price you pay for the gen 2 shocks, and if you don’t install yourself...you might as well get the 3.0s (with remote). even if it is a little more, it’s a far superior shock.
The live valve would be fun to get working on a gen 1 ( or older gen 2). You would just need to figure out how they control it, whether is resistance or voltage then add a potentiometer dial and boom adjustable shocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can get the shocks, all 4 for 400.i plan on UCAs n ext cv axles when I do it, also getting new leafs.. I guess tie rods would be the x factor? Also getting a rear bumpstop kit