Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

Gen 2 Front and rear shocks on Gen 1 Raptor DIY

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor How-To's and FAQs' started by M3GASM, Mar 18, 2019.

1. M3GASM

M3GASM Member

I made a DIY on installing Gen 2 shocks on my 2011 Gen 1 Raptor..

Tuto012 and Trick.Raptor like this.
  2. Z7What

Z7What Full Access Member

Its good to see people that clearly normally don't turn wrenches getting out there and doing something on there vehicles. Although you got it done I was nervous for you the entire time.

A couple notes for the next time you do front end suspension work. I was glad to see you finally disconnected the sway bar end link to allow the LCA to droop more. Disconnecting the ABS/Brake Line bracket from the frame and the spindle as well as disconnecting the vacuum line from the IWE would have allowed you to lower the LCA without stretching the crap out of those lines.

The spring compressor you used is called a widow maker for a reason. Seeing how you only used one and then stood in front of the hat when loosing the nut had me on the edge of my seat. Always use to and put them as close to 180* from each other as possible and never stand in front of the hat when removing it.

Just a FYI when you measured the Gen1 shock and got 14.5" and then measure the Gen2 shock and got 19". The new one had a spring on it which insured it was fully extended. Did you make sure the shock shaft from the Gen1 shock was fully extended before measuring because I seriously doubt its 4.5" longer. Did you compare the length of the Gen1 and Gen2 springs themselves when removed from the shock? Also curious if the coil diameter is the same between the two, which would allow you to also use the Gen2 spring.

The over all length of the Gen2 Coilover/Spring Preload is what gave you the lift. Replacing a blown shock with a new shock wont gain you lift because shocks don't work like that. The spring, spring preload and over all length gives you lift, the shock just controls it.

It might sound like I'm picking on you but I'm not. Its good to see people getting out there and working on there vehicles. Just wanted to give you some tips and safety precautions for the next time you do work like this.

:happy160:

PS. Don't forget to replace the sway bar end links and get a front end alignment!

Wayne

BenBB and Riddick like this.
  3. M3GASM

M3GASM Member

I did end up disconnecting the brake lines from the frame i just did it off camera.
    As for the spring size. The Gen 2 is way too wide it hits the strut tower frame on both sides.
    When it came to the safety stuff like removing the spring from the shock, i did it previously with the other side that’s why i knew it wouldn’t fly out at me.
    Thank you for the constructive criticism. I am a car guy. Not so much into trucks.
    However i will kindly take your concerns into consideration for any of my future builds
    Thank you!

4. Trick.Raptor

Trick.Raptor The Cracker Raptor Supporting Member

Great video... with your old blown shocks its not easy to compare to new ones because any shock will feel better but I'm curious how the OEM 3.0's will do off-road vs a aftermarket Fox 3.0 (which I have on mine and are adjustable.)

--

5. M3GASM

M3GASM Member

No idea.. to be honest i got the truck with blown suspension so i don’t know what to compare it to

6. Tuto012

Tuto012 Member

This is the set up I’m using on my truck. Works perfect to me.

2D495BE6-0BA0-49F6-A42D-855A9B89EFDA.jpeg

D7BBC564-36F1-4FDE-ADCC-F1B8FD39D265.jpeg