Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick9323

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting rock sliders custom made and welded to the frame, but I saw some comments about specific welding requirements for the high strength frames but was unable to find exactly what those were. My fabricator is a very experienced welder, but I wanted to see if there was guide somewhere I could give him as a double check for his settings. Thanks for the help!

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top of mind my potential concerns would be frame section brittleness (from heating), cracking, possible opportunity for rust (if I lived in the rust belt).

I recommend you do your best to find specifics on the alloy mix of the Raptor frame—using an abundance of caution.

Of course, it all depends on how much you trust your welder—as you’ll void your frame warranty.

Best of luck!

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I doubt you’ll find a go by for settings. Out of curiosity, where did you see those comments?

As far as high strength frame, it may be globally strong but likely not locally. I would give some consideration to doubler plates/re-pads, spread that load out some on those attachment points.

I can’t stand when people say they do it all the time and everything is fine, but a lot of custom shops weld to these frames all day long. Think, bump stops with frame reinforcement, link attachment points, full back half’s, etc. So it is definitely doable. Wouldn’t hurt to look into it further, but you may not find much.

OP
OP
N

Nick9323

Reaction score
I doubt you’ll find a go by for settings. Out of curiosity, where did you see those comments?

As far as high strength frame, it may be globally strong but likely not locally. I would give some consideration to doubler plates/re-pads, spread that load out some on those attachment points.

I can’t stand when people say they do it all the time and everything is fine, but a lot of custom shops weld to these frames all day long. Think, bump stops with frame reinforcement, link attachment points, full back half’s, etc. So it is definitely doable. Wouldn’t hurt to look into it further, but you may not find much.
I saw those comments on some of the Gen 1 forums saying that body shops had to buy different equipment to not mess up the temper on the frame when doing repairs.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This long A$# post is from the 2022 Ford Body Builders Layout Book.

https://www.fordbbas.com/publications

The following recommendations should be heeded to maintain proper function and performance of the vehicle frame: • Use existing holes in the frame whenever possible. • Holes are not to be drilled in the top or bottom flange of the frame side member, or in locations on the vertical frame side that would weaken the frame. • Holes to mount brackets, out-riggers, and supports, may be drilled in the vertical frame side rail web with the following restrictions: o There must be a minimum of 1.5 inches of material between edge of hole and inside of upper or lower flange. o The minimum edge distance between any two holes up to 0.625-inch diameter must be 1.00 inch. For holes larger than 0.625-inch diameter, the minimum edge distance must be 1.5 times the diameter of the largest hole. o The maximum hole diameter for any hole in the frame is 0.75 inches. o Avoid drilling holes within 0.5 inch from the edge of any existing or added reinforcement. • Avoid close vertical succession of fasteners (3 holes max). • Adding holes or welding on frame cross members is not recommended. • All attaching fasteners, including flat washers, must be of high strength steel (Grade 8 for SAE fasteners, Property Class 10.9 for metric bolts, PC 10 for metric nuts). • Prior to welding, plasma cutting or any other operations creating heat, any parts which could be damaged by excessive temperatures should be removed or adequately shielded. • Ensure the welder ground return clamp is positioned as close to the affected welding area as possible (not more than 12 inches). The welder ground return clamp should be on the same frame being welded upon. Welding cables should never be allowed to lay on, near, or across any electrical wiring or electronic component during welding. After welding, when parts are cool, carefully inspect wiring and electrical components for shorts or other damage which could draw excessive currents and possibly cause an electrical system short when the 12v battery is reconnected. • Do not weld on frame flanges, including the bend radii. • When welding steel side rails, emphasis should be placed upon weld application techniques to avoid stress risers that may adversely affect frame operating stresses. • When welding within 4 inches of any cross member or suspension rivets, remove the rivets and replace with appropriate threaded fasteners (Grade 8 for

OP
OP
N

Nick9323

Reaction score
This long A$# post is from the 2022 Ford Body Builders Layout Book.

https://www.fordbbas.com/publications

The following recommendations should be heeded to maintain proper function and performance of the vehicle frame: • Use existing holes in the frame whenever possible. • Holes are not to be drilled in the top or bottom flange of the frame side member, or in locations on the vertical frame side that would weaken the frame. • Holes to mount brackets, out-riggers, and supports, may be drilled in the vertical frame side rail web with the following restrictions: o There must be a minimum of 1.5 inches of material between edge of hole and inside of upper or lower flange. o The minimum edge distance between any two holes up to 0.625-inch diameter must be 1.00 inch. For holes larger than 0.625-inch diameter, the minimum edge distance must be 1.5 times the diameter of the largest hole. o The maximum hole diameter for any hole in the frame is 0.75 inches. o Avoid drilling holes within 0.5 inch from the edge of any existing or added reinforcement. • Avoid close vertical succession of fasteners (3 holes max). • Adding holes or welding on frame cross members is not recommended. • All attaching fasteners, including flat washers, must be of high strength steel (Grade 8 for SAE fasteners, Property Class 10.9 for metric bolts, PC 10 for metric nuts). • Prior to welding, plasma cutting or any other operations creating heat, any parts which could be damaged by excessive temperatures should be removed or adequately shielded. • Ensure the welder ground return clamp is positioned as close to the affected welding area as possible (not more than 12 inches). The welder ground return clamp should be on the same frame being welded upon. Welding cables should never be allowed to lay on, near, or across any electrical wiring or electronic component during welding. After welding, when parts are cool, carefully inspect wiring and electrical components for shorts or other damage which could draw excessive currents and possibly cause an electrical system short when the 12v battery is reconnected. • Do not weld on frame flanges, including the bend radii. • When welding steel side rails, emphasis should be placed upon weld application techniques to avoid stress risers that may adversely affect frame operating stresses. • When welding within 4 inches of any cross member or suspension rivets, remove the rivets and replace with appropriate threaded fasteners (Grade 8 for
Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy to help, you want to kill some time? Go wander around that site, most is aimed at lumbering commercial trucks, but there is some good info buried there.

Psirus7

Reaction score
Old post, but any DIY guys weld their own reinforcement plates on? I just drilled through a cross-member with a smile on my face yesterday….