Gen 2 first oil change advice......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2024RaptorR_NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alllllllllll right before I get blasted yes I searched and read a LOT of threads but I guess I’m just super excited and want to do the absolute best for my vehicle! I should be receiving my truck in the next two weeks and have always lived by “use but don’t abuse” when it comes to my vehicles. This has served me very well thus far and has always involved more frequent fluid changes than suggested my the manufacturer but within reason!

So my question, when should I do the very first oil/filter change? After reading threads there seems to be a few different opinions, some say to just follow the computers recommendation which from my experience I’m not really ok with....allow me to explain, being a brand new engine there is bound to be more materials (metal fragments from parts breaking in/gasket materials etc etc) than oil changes down the road and the computer programming does not compensate for this. From what I have read I do not believe Ford uses a “break in” oil but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

I believe for my peace of mind I would feel better dropping the engine oil and swapping the filter before the computer suggests but at what mileage would be the ideal time? Interested to hear others opinions and what you have decided to do! Also does anyone do tranny or diff fluids before the suggested interval again to get the break-in crap out?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2014 I did my first oil change before 750 miles. It might not help but it sure can't hurt anything. I'm pretty sure the oil monitor is just a timer. My Raptor is not a daily driver and the last time the change oil message came on I had only driven about 500 mile since my last oil change.

Mark

OP
OP
2024RaptorR_NOVA

2024RaptorR_NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2014 I did my first oil change before 750 miles. It might not help but it sure can't hurt anything. I'm pretty sure the oil monitor is just a timer. My Raptor is not a daily driver and the last time the change oil message came on I had only driven about 500 mile since my last oil change.

Mark

Thanks for the response and I agree it certainly is not going to hurt anything I just don’t want to do it too early and waste good oil.....I know a friend just picked up a new C7 Z06 and it’s limited as per the ECU for the first 500 miles and then requires a suggested oil change.....that makes me think there is a reason for doing so. I know the Raptor is no Z06 but lol

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took mine to Ford at 2,000mi and told them to change it, the service girl really didn’t want to and said it was to early but I really didn’t care. I do mine now every 5k and I have noticed the oil life gauge reads more off how many miles then time, when I am at 5k it always says 50% left.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil monitor calculates oil additive breakdown by monitoring engine rpm, idle and run time, coolant temp and mileage. It uses these and several other metrics to calculate/predict oil breakdown. A rough example would be: if it sees high rpm with a low coolant temp, lots of idle time and frequent start stops it "counts down" quicker.

Ford does not use a break in oil with the ecboosts.

2-5000 miles would be fine for a first oil change. People doing them super early COULD just be wasteful OR it means there's still going to be break in material in their second oil change. It's all just hypothesizing anyway.

I'm generally a huge supporter of factory oil filters. But Ford's motorcraft filter is a non synthetic media and rather small amount of it. Ford's motorcraft oil also doesn't like high heat or fuel dilution.

Amsoil, wix, Ea, purolator, Mobil all make good filters that last past 10k miles.

I use amsoil oil.
@Gen2_Magnetic the chevy 100% uses a special break in oil that's high in zinc. I know that for a fact. I think the focus RS does too but I never confirmed it. I know The 3.5 ecoboosts DO NOT use a special break in oil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2024RaptorR_NOVA

2024RaptorR_NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine to Ford at 2,000mi and told them to change it, the service girl really didn’t want to and said it was to early but I really didn’t care. I do mine now every 5k and I have noticed the oil life gauge reads more off how many miles then time, when I am at 5k it always says 50% left.

Thanks for the info. On my last vehicle which was a Nissan GT-R I changed it religiously at 5000kms and used Mobil 1 oil and Nissan filters....had it over 6 years with no issues and I’m sure the engine is perfect!

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

The oil monitor calculates oil additive breakdown by monitoring engine rpm, idle and run time, coolant temp and mileage. It uses these and several other metrics to calculate/predict oil breakdown. A rough example would be: if it sees high rpm with a low coolant temp, lots of idle time and frequent start stops it "counts down" quicker.

Ford does not use a break in oil with the ecboosts.

2-5000 miles would be fine for a first oil change. People doing them super early COULD just be wasteful OR it means there's still going to be break in material in their second oil change. It's all just hypothesizing anyway.

I'm generally a huge supporter of factory oil filters. But Ford's motorcraft filter is a non synthetic media and rather small amount of it. Ford's motorcraft oil also doesn't like high heat or fuel dilution.

Amsoil, wix, Ea, purolator, Mobil all make good filters that last past 10k miles.

I use amsoil oil.
@Gen2_Magnetic the chevy 100% uses a special break in oil that's high in zinc. I know that for a fact. I think the focus RS does too but I never confirmed it. I know The 3.5 ecoboosts DO NOT use a special break in oil.

Some great info here, much appreciated!

From some research on here I plan on running Mobil 1 oil and filters after the first oil change. I have been using Mobil 1 for years now and considering I do not do the long interval changes I feel it will be a perfect fit and is very easy for me to obtain and often on sale....win win!

Birel22

Reaction score
I have had good results running Royal Purple and K&N Oil Filters on my Gen 1. Blackstone reports have come back nicely. I typically change oil between 500-750 miles for piece of mind on break in.

OP
OP
2024RaptorR_NOVA

2024RaptorR_NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had good results running Royal Purple and K&N Oil Filters on my Gen 1. Blackstone reports have come back nicely. I typically change oil between 500-750 miles for piece of mind on break in.

Good to know thank you! I have the truck finally and am in love!!!!

Driver

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. On my last vehicle which was a Nissan GT-R I changed it religiously at 5000kms and used Mobil 1 oil and Nissan filters....had it over 6 years with no issues and I’m sure the engine is perfect!

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Some great info here, much appreciated!

From some research on here I plan on running Mobil 1 oil and filters after the first oil change. I have been using Mobil 1 for years now and considering I do not do the long interval changes I feel it will be a perfect fit and is very easy for me to obtain and often on sale....win win!
Have you heard Mobile 1 is not good for longer intervals?

I am not planning on driving my brand new 18 a ton of miles, perhaps only 6k a year. Going by mileage it could take 2 years to get to a scheduled oil change!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk