Gen 2 Fire Extinguisher Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And a .45 is a poor choice to go up against someone with an AK clone, but if it’s the only tool available then it’s kind of what you have to go with. Maybe you don’t completely extinguish a truck fire, but maybe you put a dent in it? Maybe you delay it from engulfing the truck, maybe you happen upon a fire outside the truck you’re able to extinguish. It’s good to know what to realistically expect though from one of the many mountable extinguisher options.

I'll admit to not knowing a whole lot about the different instances where a fire may occur in or around the truck, but if all you can do is make a dent, wouldn't it be better to just get yourself and other to a safe area rather than try and put the fire out? If you have proper training and can identify the proper course of action quickly, then sure do what you know you can, otherwise, why take the risks?

Is there a resource that goes over the different fire situations that can happen around a vehicle, on and off road, and what are the odds of the situation actually occurring?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You only need to wear a helmet if or when you crash....
Same goes for fire extinguishers, more valuable when you are in the middle of nowhere with no cell service.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You only need to wear a helmet if or when you crash....
Same goes for fire extinguishers, more valuable when you are in the middle of nowhere with no cell service.

Right, because if you're racing or generally doing more dangerous driving, the chances of a crash are much higher. I wasn't denying that. I just have no idea how likely a fire extinguisher would be useful under specific circumstances.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only point was for $70k I’m going to douse that shit with a dry chem and put it out. Clean up costs less than a new truck.

I will admit I don’t know anything about off-road insurance, if that’s a thing, and what it covers.

If it were me I’d buy a 20lb dry chem and beat the beast!

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why i have sealed my bed and filled it with water. I had to add air bags to the rear but it's worth it in case of a fire. I carry a pump and hose as well.

#xlr8 Raptor Fire Protection District

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll admit to not knowing a whole lot about the different instances where a fire may occur in or around the truck, but if all you can do is make a dent, wouldn't it be better to just get yourself and other to a safe area rather than try and put the fire out? If you have proper training and can identify the proper course of action quickly, then sure do what you know you can, otherwise, why take the risks?

Is there a resource that goes over the different fire situations that can happen around a vehicle, on and off road, and what are the odds of the situation actually occurring?

Not sure if this is what you’re after but it’s a start.

https://firerescuemagazine.firefighternation.com/2011/07/01/fighting-vehicle-fires/#gref

I would think for the most part the fire hazards would be the same, but the extrication aspect would be the bigger concern off-road. That is unless you have a roll cage, but who here has chopped their truck in half to put one in?

DrewFish11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s my set up. I understand it won’t do much in terms of an actual blaze but it’s an inexpensive piece of mind just in case. I’ll have this one all the time and then an additional extinguisher in the back with my offroad gear. Majority of the stuff in my offroad gear box I hope I never have to use but I also understand the importance of being prepared for a variety of less than ideal conditions.

d4e9c1cec0eb2cedea867dabeace5f3f.jpge6a40155d8c36d0cee911c8a3ab9593b.jpgfd204989ebb564f6a52dcbdcaa22a0e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
anything short of a 5lb extinguisher is literally only to buy yourself a little time to grab the bigger extinguisher. ( or to simply get out of the truck).

Anything smaller than a 5 lb isn't going to put out a fire.

the next time I have my truck torn down, I plan to install a full-blown suppression system.

I'd thoroughly recommend buying a 1.5 gallon coldfire unit ( and no, they are not cheap, but they are incredibly effective. ( and what a LOT of first responders have in their units)

the 4 litre units are even more effective, but they are a bit large for a raptor. I keep a 4L unit in my superduty.

DStorm91

Reaction score
First post to the forum, new owner of a 2018 Raptor. Great place to get some new ideas...

25 years in the fire service, I keep an extinguisher in my vehicles. Already had to use it once, although it wasn't my vehicle.

Long story short (or maybe not) I pull in the DMV and notice people acting frantic running to their cars, moving them...and in the middle of all the excitement was a red 80's Camaro with the hood up, engine compartment on fire, some dude with his shirt off hitting at the top of the engine, and flames getting bigger each time.. I pulled up beside him, walked around and sprayed it with the extinguisher. Fire out. He was incredulous and extremely thankful. I just told him no problem man, put the spent extinguisher back in my truck then went on inside to renew my tags.

So it may not always be your vehicle but someone elses.