Gen 2 Engine Rattle - Is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I will shoot a video tomorrow. The cause is the actuators on the electronic wastegate, or the wastegate itself. I am still learning about turbo setups. I understand Supercharged setups much better and have owned and modded a few.

After researching Turbo setups today I heard the same noise I am experiencing from wastegates, mainly actuator arm joints rattling on other rigs. Seems to be super common on many brands including BMW and Ford. Its not normal in most cases. Most of the time failure is around the corner. In my case I think its normal, either that or Ford has a factory flawed design as its on both sides.

I just started my truck and watched the actuators on each turbo. I hear the noise and at the same time the actuators move. 100 percent certain its the wastegate actuators or the wastegate itself. Happens on both sides. Happens every single time the wastegate opens. Under load or not. Im surprised I am the first to report it.

I will find a fix and a way to stop it. Unless it comes from inside of the electronic wastegate itself. I might call Ford Performance and see if they will talk to me. Im not going to a dealership unless I get towed, or have a major concern.

MJ

Yes yes yes good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theandrewpham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on this? I am fairly certain I have the exact same problem and I am dying to get it resolved

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I seem to have developed a rattle at 14k - the rate increases and decreases with RPM. It doesn't appear to be IWE, as it remains in either 2WD or 4A.

I'm pretty sure this is wastegate, but could it be something else?

https://youtu.be/8rTI77WZ5js

Last edited:

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove the truck around all last night, no noise on startup.

Started it this morning, noise came to life after idling for about 15-20 seconds. The minute I put it in gear, it quit.
Does this still sound like the timing chain/cam phasers?

Seems to me like its coming from right behind the radiator, almost like the belt drive or AC compressor