Gen 2 Engine Rattle - Is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard this the day I got the truck home. Its a late January build.
Supercrew, AG. My front passenger door has an alignment issue, the door sticks out several mm past the rear door. I was outside moving the latch inward on the B pilar to try and adjust the door (no luck, still sticks out) and the truck was running. At idle I heard the sound I have heard since day one (I have 700 miles and they have been easy miles) so I broke out the video camera. See You Tube link below. Listen close at 14 seconds and 34 seconds, and then you can listen toward the end when I rev it. At the end of the video I give the truck a little throttle. You can hear its a little rough there also.

What in the hell is this noise? I already have the engine knock (normal according to manual). I have a door out of alignment. Im not taking my truck to the dealer for a tech joyride, sunbath, a new scratch and door ding from them parking a car 4 inches from it on each side while it bathes in the sun. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEjeuVuf0Ho

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell where that sound is coming from, your camera is pointed at a turbo, is that where you think it's coming from?

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to isolate an individual noise from that video but I think you might be hearing the injectors. Direct injection is often described as sounding like a sewing machine (or maybe a quiet, tiny diesel). That might be it?

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise comes from the general area where the camera was pointed. Sounds like a fully auto airsoft or BB gun running through 10 Rounds. It can be heard from anywhere standing around the truck. You dont have to get near the wheel.
Does anyone else hear this as soon as you start the engine? Mine does it everytime.
If this noise is normal it doesnt soound like it. And I wouldnt think the clicking of DI would sound like a full auto airsoft gun.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
After listening a bunch I Agree with below sounds like wastegate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, check out this link. It gives me hope. This guy also provides a temp fix in a later video. Different truck, smaller Ecoboost and maybe even a different actuator design. I will verify that later tonight. Im hopeful my issue is something simple like this. His sound is identical to mine, except his sound is consistent and doesn't go away. My sound is very sporadic. Im hoping my noise is something loose. I will test later tonight.

Can a few other 2017 owners start your trucks and listen while standing near the front driver wheel area?
https://youtu.be/H5WHur6_M7A

2022 SVT Fan

Reaction score
I heard this the day I got the truck home. Its a late January build.
Supercrew, AG. My front passenger door has an alignment issue, the door sticks out several mm past the rear door. I was outside moving the latch inward on the B pilar to try and adjust the door (no luck, still sticks out) and the truck was running. At idle I heard the sound I have heard since day one (I have 700 miles and they have been easy miles) so I broke out the video camera. See You Tube link below. Listen close at 14 seconds and 34 seconds, and then you can listen toward the end when I rev it. At the end of the video I give the truck a little throttle. You can hear its a little rough there also.

What in the hell is this noise? I already have the engine knock (normal according to manual). I have a door out of alignment. Im not taking my truck to the dealer for a tech joyride, sunbath, a new scratch and door ding from them parking a car 4 inches from it on each side while it bathes in the sun. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEjeuVuf0Ho

sounds like the built in waste gate.... mine makes the same noise on a cold start, right after a quick throttle bump.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it!!!!!!

I will shoot a video tomorrow. The cause is the actuators on the electronic wastegate, or the wastegate itself. I am still learning about turbo setups. I understand Supercharged setups much better and have owned and modded a few.

After researching Turbo setups today I heard the same noise I am experiencing from wastegates, mainly actuator arm joints rattling on other rigs. Seems to be super common on many brands including BMW and Ford. Its not normal in most cases. Most of the time failure is around the corner. In my case I think its normal, either that or Ford has a factory flawed design as its on both sides.

I just started my truck and watched the actuators on each turbo. I hear the noise and at the same time the actuators move. 100 percent certain its the wastegate actuators or the wastegate itself. Happens on both sides. Happens every single time the wastegate opens. Under load or not. Im surprised I am the first to report it.

I will find a fix and a way to stop it. Unless it comes from inside of the electronic wastegate itself. I might call Ford Performance and see if they will talk to me. Im not going to a dealership unless I get towed, or have a major concern.

MJ