Gen 2 build quality better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braaptor37

Reaction score
Gen 2 was built during normal times do you think the quality would be better than gen3 built seemingly blind? The wrinkle in the seat is what got me thinking like wtf that’s going to look awful in 2-3years. I have a 22 coming so I’m already lacking all the cool stuff. Kinda like what they did with the 2017 f250 color changing ambient light and ditched it in 18+

Anywho do you think the gen 3 is more slopped together and shoved out to meet the numbers? Who’s replacing that seat down the line maybe someone can stretch it out?

2010 RAPTOR SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would choose my 2014 and 2012 out of all. My Gen 3 has some nice features, liked Gen 2 styling. But my Gen 3 not fond of the issues. Trying to get worked out.

BalorGrayJax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better build quality? Absolutely not. Are there more things and electronics that can break in the new one? Absolutely. Doesn't change the build quality, just means that by % there are quite a few more chances for a small amount of people to have a bad egg out of the dozen.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Better build quality? Absolutely not. Are there more things and electronics that can break in the new one? Absolutely. Doesn't change the build quality, just means that by % there are quite a few more chances for a small amount of people to have a bad egg out of the dozen.
Lol- you definitely don’t know much bout manufacturing/production. The answer is emphatically YES the odds are the first 1-2 years of this Gen3 truck are more sloppily built than the Gen2s. It’s a 1000% FACT that ford was missing employees on/off throughout covid times & that applies to not only assembly line workers but engineers/designers/marketing/IT etc etc etc- EVERY business - especially those that make tangible goods- suffered during the pandemic & still after. Thank LGB

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 2 was built during normal times do you think the quality would be better than gen3 built seemingly blind? The wrinkle in the seat is what got me thinking like wtf that’s going to look awful in 2-3years. I have a 22 coming so I’m already lacking all the cool stuff. Kinda like what they did with the 2017 f250 color changing ambient light and ditched it in 18+

Anywho do you think the gen 3 is more slopped together and shoved out to meet the numbers? Who’s replacing that seat down the line maybe someone can stretch it out?
LOL... search the GEN 2 forums... Fords old slogan "Quality is Job 1" does not apply. My 2019 Raptors paint was garbage, headlight filled with water, sloppy seam sealant, and drivers seat cushion would detach. My 2020 Raptor was slightly better. It had half as many paint flaws but the adaptive cruise control did not work right at delivery took 5 trips to the dealer to fix plus the inside of the passenger headlight was cracked.

Loose leather and wrinkles have always been a problem for Ford, just pray and hopefully your trucks are nice and tght.

Ive seen no worse quality on the GEN3s than the GEN2's... if anything the quality is worse on the GEN2s because more have been made.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Too early to tell imo. So far in my first 3k miles in my gen 3 I’m far more impressed with it than I was from my gen 2. On and off road. I did have a few problems with my gen two though that I just ignored from day 1 uneven panel, spring popped on a seat, tail gate a little off center, and the plastic piece next to the headlight missing a clip. I don’t think it really matters what times we’re living in. When you’re scaling the production that these companies are it’s impossible to spit out perfect vehicles every time.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol- you definitely don’t know much bout manufacturing/production. The answer is emphatically YES the odds are the first 1-2 years of this Gen3 truck are more sloppily built than the Gen2s. It’s a 1000% FACT that ford was missing employees on/off throughout covid times & that applies to not only assembly line workers but engineers/designers/marketing/IT etc etc etc- EVERY business - especially those that make tangible goods- suffered during the pandemic & still after. Thank LGB

Ford should have let the assembly line workers work from home.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Gen 3 is overall an upgrade from Gen 2, materials and design are no doubt improved. Assembly line shortcomings are a very real thing though, I would agree with @Badgertits that build quality is without question below the typical threshold experienced prior to covid. Combine that with a first MY or two of a product line we are bound to see an anomalous number of Q/A issues. My 2021 King Ranch has been no exception with. That does not mean Gen 2 is better than Gen 3 in my mind, just questionable build quality on a lot of the MY21 and MY22's we are seeing on the road IMO.

BalorGrayJax

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Missing employees =/= Build quality

Thanks for proving your lack of general comprehension ability though. I'll be sure to reply in a 2nd grade tone from here on out for you should you need further elaboration.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know Gen 3 is overall an upgrade from Gen 2, materials and design are no doubt improved. Assembly line shortcomings are a very real thing though, I would agree with @Badgertits that build quality is without question below the typical threshold experienced prior to covid. Combine that with a first MY or two of a product line we are bound to see an anomalous number of Q/A issues. My 2021 King Ranch has been no exception with. That does not mean Gen 2 is better than Gen 3 in my mind, just questionable build quality on a lot of the MY21 and MY22's we are seeing on the road IMO.

Correct- the fact is the overall redesign was in the works before the pandemic hit for sure, but still….implementation of that design while dealing w/ a perfect storm of supply chain bottlenecks, tariffs/sanctions/trade war leading up to pandemic, switching up various OEM parts suppliers back/forth as a result of these supply chain/trade issues creating variability & potential inconsistency in the quality of those individual parts, labor shortage in general due to paying people not to work, pandemic protocol stuff causing “start/stop/start/stop” production runs, missing key employees for stretches of time etc etc absolutely can/would contribute to poorer overall build quality. It really isn’t that hard to understand.

Didn’t try to come off offensive….but also should note that I’m in the business of selling aluminum to Ford directly (& others) so do have some insight into how that stuff effects manufacturing & it also hurt our business as well.