Gen 2 Blown Motor: Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tyler_GTS

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in Knoxville, TN.

And I feel exactly like you...if it was me, I would not buy a raptor on its second engine. Especially when they cant tell me why the motor failed to begin with-No way.

the dealer will say, “oh, its as good as new with the new motor, it wont devalue it at all.” Then i ask them to give me a reasonable trade in value, and I’m betting they devalue it then. Whatever they can use to their advantage.

Oh well, I think i’ll Be happy with the new adds on the 2019 (Recaro, blue color, etc) but I didnt want to be forced into one out of my control. I would have rather the truck been totaled out or stolen,

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in Knoxville, TN.

And I feel exactly like you...if it was me, I would not buy a raptor on its second engine. Especially when they cant tell me why the motor failed to begin with-No way.

the dealer will say, “oh, its as good as new with the new motor, it wont devalue it at all.” Then i ask them to give me a reasonable trade in value, and I’m betting they devalue it then. Whatever they can use to their advantage.

Oh well, I think i’ll Be happy with the new adds on the 2019 (Recaro, blue color, etc) but I didnt want to be forced into one out of my control. I would have rather the truck been totaled out or stolen,

You're perfectly in control though. The truck you own right now is getting a new engine, and very likely will be the same truck you've (hopefully) enjoyed since you bought it.

If you want to upgrade and are comfortable with the price delta, nothing wrong with that.

There is a certain unmeasurable thrill that comes with a new truck. Seems you're leaning that way, and I can't blame you. Whatever you decide, do it because you want to, not because someone is forcing you...

*Edit* Raptors at or below MSRP are stupid easy to come by in the Midwest. Especially '18s. I wouldn't touch anything on a lot at MSRP.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like I’m just getting the repair.

They are asking for 14k in addition to get an 18 they have on the lot. Which is ridiculous.

So your engine has been blown, now they want to bend you over...I would tell them that trying to profit heavily on my poor experience with YOUR product, is not a good business practice. Fix the motor, I am done at this dealer.

OP
OP
Tyler_GTS

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. It has helped me walk through it a little better.

One thing I may do is let the current dealer fix my motor, and then go to the dealer ther truck was purchased from (out of state in NC) and see what they would be willing to do on a trade evaluation.

Maybe since they are the ones who sold me the truck, they would work a little better with my.

Although, ironically enough,the truck was originally purchased new (not by me) from the dealer it is getting fixed at now.

*EDIT: I just wonder if TN is a place that MSRP still holds. Everywhere else is getting below that, but I cannot find a dealer in the area that will go below. They even tell me they are giving me a $10k discount since they are coming off MARP...Which kinda ****** me off.

OP
OP
Tyler_GTS

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note: One thing that worries me about ordering 2019 is any possible model changes in 2020 and having a still really new truck that gets devalued.

At least if I kept my 2017 i could justify trading in for a 20’ if there are some big changes.

Surely an interior refresh (at least) is coming relatively soon?

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hold on to the 17, get an extended warranty....or at minimum wait another 6 weeks, for the 19's to be on the lot, or wait a little more, I hear the V8 is in the 2021... :laughing1:

OP
OP
Tyler_GTS

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but im happy with the V6 turbo. So the only thing that would make me jealous is a body change or interior change.

I think at this point I will let them fix it and then try to original dealer and see if i can get a 19 on the lot or build one. Then try to get fair value on my trade.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@pierceography pretty much nailed it. sales and service are 2 separate departments that almost never interact on a deal, and their respect goals are almost completely independent. The one thing called for here is the most difficult for some, like me, to come up with in situations like this: Patience.

Impatience will lead to poor choices that you will regret in the long run.

Accept that your motor had a manufacturing defect and that the manufacturer is going to make it right.
How is a ’19 going to improve the quality of your life, exactly? Now, look at that list and strike the entries you made that really aren’t true.

Get right side up on the truck enough so that the trade value isn’t such a road block before you decide to make a long term decision.
I would contact Ford C/S and start the conversation about an extended warranty. Flood Ford is the accepted lowest cost available on a FORD ESP. if your goal is a short term turnaround - 2-4 more years of ownership, get them to cover it. If you’re going to be in the Raptor family longer, get them to go half on the longest term, fullest coverage ESP out there.

Don’t be in a hurry; some things take some time to remedy and this will be one of them.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note: One thing that worries me about ordering 2019 is any possible model changes in 2020 and having a still really new truck that gets devalued.

At least if I kept my 2017 i could justify trading in for a 20’ if there are some big changes.

Surely an interior refresh (at least) is coming relatively soon?

Ford seems to be on a six-year redesign cycle with the F150 line. The current line was introduced in 2015, which means 2021 should be when the line is redesigned completely. 2018 brought a refresh the F150s, but relatively simple modifications (new grill/headlights, tailgate stamp).

2019 has obviously brought some updates to the Raptor, but nothing mind blowing or close to a redesign. I think, at best, 2021 is when you you will see a Raptor redesign, which means the 2019s should have two strong years before they're replaced with an entirely new model.

And Ford could always pull a 2015/2016 again and stop producing Raptors to focus on F150 assembly. I personally doubt that, but you never know.

Moral being, if you want a 2019, get one. I wouldn't worry about what features they might introduce in the future.