Gen 1 with 4 Auto (TOD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
TBH - I'm not sure what the compatibility is.
From what I can tell, all of the controls and data comes from the 4x4 Module and has nothing to do with the PCM itself. So perhaps still compatible with early years?

The switch and 4x4 module are easy enough to swap and someone could theoretically test the connection by just sliding a T-Case under the truck and plugging it in to test for function.
Maybe.
How is it that you have 4x4 Auto under the 4" info screen?
Remember the 2010 1/2 doesn't even have select shift, the BCM is different and doesn't have the little 4" info screen in the dash.
But sure wish someone would try it.

OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
Maybe.
Remember the 2010 1/2 doesn't even have select shift, the BCM is different and doesn't have the little 4" info screen in the dash.
The screen just picked it up. I honestly don’t really know. Didn’t have to do anything. As soon as I swapped the 4x4 module, the main dash cluster already had support for it I guess?

OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
Maybe.
Hmm. I didn’t realize the dash cluster was different. I’m guessing here but I think that since the 4x4 module controls the TCM, it could possibly still work despite not having a display? Not sure.

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this swap on a 2006 Harley f150 along with a 5r110. So much better. Glad to hear it’s plug and play for the gen 1s. Never understood why ford didn’t do this in the first place

OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
I did this swap on a 2006 Harley f150 along with a 5r110. So much better. Glad to hear it’s plug and play for the gen 1s. Never understood why ford didn’t do this in the first place
I read somewhere that Ford was initially concerned about the off-road capability of the 4A transmission… though the Gen 2 raptors proved that sentiment to be false since the Gen 2 has higher hp/torque but still boasts 4A as a feature. ‍:shrug: