Gen 1 with 4 Auto (TOD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Primez

Reaction score
Hi all,

Precursor: I do not drive a purebred Gen 1 but instead of a very heavily modified 2012 FX4. this thread is purely anecdotal and I am by no means an expert on this topic. In any case, some may find this info valuable.

As for the topic at hand, I have successfully retrofitted a TOD (4 Auto) transmission to my 2012. I suspect this to be a straight swap for any 2012+ F150 with 4WD, including Gen 1 Raptors.

Why did I do this? Well, #1, 4x4 binding sucks. I live in Colorado and plowing around here is inconsistent. I often found myself switching in and out of 4x4, roads plowed, parking lots clean, and vice versa. Last winter, I entered my clean driveway from a snowy road, instantly starting binding when the front tires got traction. I thought, “there must be a better way to do this!” As it turns out— there is! I believe around 2011/2012, Ford started to offer the TOD (4 Auto) transfer case in Lariat and Harley edition trucks. This transfer case is a straight swap. I was able to pick up a new 4x4 module and switch from Ford parts, along with a 4A t-case for around $300 used. The swap was straight forward. No special considerations. Out with the old, in with the new. Same goes for the switch and 4x4 module. I did not have to do any additional programming on the PCM. With the new 4x4 module and switch, the truck immediately picked up the 4 auto mode. I don’t have a ton of pics of the process, as there are already videos out there on how to remove the t case. In any case, proof is in the pudding!
Voila!
664689C5-58B1-403D-AA94-9CFDF87AF7E4.jpeg4687CFEB-8561-436B-8CDC-4A3A55F5D1BB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
I forgot to mention an important piece: I also have an actuator delete, so front hubs are locked 24/7. You can leave 4-auto engaged at all times, even on dry pavement. It is designed to have hubs locked in 4auto. If you don’t have a delete, it’ll lock hubs anyways in 4A, and unlock in 2H. I figured that since mine are locked all the time anyways, I might as well try to get some extra feature use out of it, ergo, 4 auto. :)

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
No problem. Install took about 4 hours total with 2 people. I’m happy to have this done just before winter hits here.
Right. Ill have to wait for now hopefully over the summer i can get the parts. I probably won’t be tackling this job myself, Ill have the techs at work do it for me. This is above my knowledge and id be to nervous is mess something up lol

OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
TBH - I'm not sure what the compatibility is.
From what I can tell, all of the controls and data comes from the 4x4 Module and has nothing to do with the PCM itself. So perhaps still compatible with early years?

The switch and 4x4 module are easy enough to swap and someone could theoretically test the connection by just sliding a T-Case under the truck and plugging it in to test for function.