Gen 1 v Gen 2 Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Oldham

Reaction score
HI,

I was working on some forged wheels for my Gen. 2 Raptor (18), and see the forum only in Gen 1. Is there an offset change or difference in G1 and G2?

I was looking at like a 17x9, +10mm wheel or 17x8.5, 0 or +4mm offset wheel.

Any comments?

I was going to do a couple different beadlock designs so I can switch out looks when I feel the urge!

JB

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Both are the same. 17x8.5", +34 offset.

Offset will depend on your tastes and how far you like the wheels/tires stick out.

I know on the Gen 1's, most had rubbing issues at full lock with 0 offset Method wheels on bottom perch. Not sure if the Gen 2 also require the coil adjustment to run smaller offset wheels to avoid rubbing.

For me, I would stick with a positive offset wheel if given the choice going aftermarket.
I forget the change in offset when dealing with a wider tire.

TheTeej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a +10 offset on a gen 2 and it still roosts the sides about as much as my +0 offset methods did on my gen 1. I wouldnt go much less personally. I think +10 looks sweet whereas my methods on the gen 1 at +0 did stick out a little. +12 to +18 offset may be the sweet spot, only issue is not a lot of selection with that spec.

I believe +0 offset may rub slightly without a collar or aftermarket spring on 17's and 18's. 19's and 20's sit a bit higher in the front and may be fine without adjustment

OP
OP
J

Jeff Oldham

Reaction score
I believe I am going to design it with a 17x8.5 with a +15mm offset. That will put me about .75" more outward than stock so I should not be throwing to much crap up and can stay at stock perch.

I may play around with the beadlock design on it and do it in a brushed graphite face with both a black ring and red ring since I have the Ruby Red. Gives me the options to play with the look.

Forged wheels
17x8.5
87mm cb
+15mm offset
6x135mm pcd

TheTeej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which brand? Rotoform?

regardless I think that setup sounds amazing. Red ring would look sweet especially if they could paint match it to ruby.

Backspacing look ok?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Oldham

Reaction score
Just playing with the drawing and what ring I want on it, but here is a prototype drawing. I am going to redo some of the color and imaging and play around some with it.

Maybe also make the spokes more angular
View media item 14934

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was looking at like a 17x9, +10mm wheel or 17x8.5, 0 or +4mm offset wheel.

In my opinion, the best offset and wheel width to run- functionally, for 99% of owners is the OEM offset and wheel size.

If you want wider than stock, say 1" wider- then run the factory offset (which is positive) minus 12mm (1/2"). That moves it all out 1/2" to account for the inner half of a 1" wider wheel. Make sense? If you know what the stock offset and wheel s size is , stick close to that adjusting as needed for width changes, and you'll be fine.