Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Gen 1 v Gen 2 Wheels

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Wheels & Tires Forum [GEN 1]' started by Jeff Oldham, Apr 5, 2020.

Texas Motorworx
  1. Jeff Oldham

Jeff Oldham Member

HI,

I was working on some forged wheels for my Gen. 2 Raptor (18), and see the forum only in Gen 1. Is there an offset change or difference in G1 and G2?

I was looking at like a 17x9, +10mm wheel or 17x8.5, 0 or +4mm offset wheel.

Any comments?

I was going to do a couple different beadlock designs so I can switch out looks when I feel the urge!

JB

2. John813

John813 Full Access Member

Both are the same. 17x8.5", +34 offset.

Offset will depend on your tastes and how far you like the wheels/tires stick out.

I know on the Gen 1's, most had rubbing issues at full lock with 0 offset Method wheels on bottom perch. Not sure if the Gen 2 also require the coil adjustment to run smaller offset wheels to avoid rubbing.

For me, I would stick with a positive offset wheel if given the choice going aftermarket.
    I forget the change in offset when dealing with a wider tire.

3. TheTeej

TheTeej Full Access Member

I've got a +10 offset on a gen 2 and it still roosts the sides about as much as my +0 offset methods did on my gen 1. I wouldnt go much less personally. I think +10 looks sweet whereas my methods on the gen 1 at +0 did stick out a little. +12 to +18 offset may be the sweet spot, only issue is not a lot of selection with that spec.

I believe +0 offset may rub slightly without a collar or aftermarket spring on 17's and 18's. 19's and 20's sit a bit higher in the front and may be fine without adjustment

4. Jeff Oldham

Jeff Oldham Member

I believe I am going to design it with a 17x8.5 with a +15mm offset. That will put me about .75" more outward than stock so I should not be throwing to much crap up and can stay at stock perch.

I may play around with the beadlock design on it and do it in a brushed graphite face with both a black ring and red ring since I have the Ruby Red. Gives me the options to play with the look.

Forged wheels
    17x8.5
    87mm cb
    +15mm offset
    6x135mm pcd

John813 likes this.
  5. TheTeej

TheTeej Full Access Member

Which brand? Rotoform?

regardless I think that setup sounds amazing. Red ring would look sweet especially if they could paint match it to ruby.

Backspacing look ok?

6. TrevsRaptor

TrevsRaptor Member

Is there a difference in backspacing?

7. Jeff Oldham

Jeff Oldham Member

8. Jeff Oldham

Jeff Oldham Member

A few different variations

blackandgrey1.jpg

blackandmirror1.jpg

blackandmirror2.jpg

blackandmirror3.jpg

blackredblack.jpg

9. Jeff Oldham

Jeff Oldham Member

couple more

blackredblack2.jpg

blackredmirror1.jpg

911 Crazy likes this.
  10. EricM

EricM FRF Addict

In my opinion, the best offset and wheel width to run- functionally, for 99% of owners is the OEM offset and wheel size.

If you want wider than stock, say 1" wider- then run the factory offset (which is positive) minus 12mm (1/2"). That moves it all out 1/2" to account for the inner half of a 1" wider wheel. Make sense? If you know what the stock offset and wheel s size is , stick close to that adjusting as needed for width changes, and you'll be fine.