Gen 1 Upgrade or rebuild for longevity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a 2013 SCAB that's just over 80K on the mileage. The midperched stock 2.5's are really in need of a rebuild. My Toyo MT 315 70R18's are about wore off, but I'm starting to notice rubbing during tight turns and the ride, in general, is starting to feel really unstable at any speeds over 65-70mph.

I'm not driving my Raptor as much these days, partly due to mileage (spendy on the gas as a Daily Driver), partly due to retiring it to my own personal show truck collectible status, and partly due to the above shock issue. I don't see myself doing any aggressive offroading with it any time soon (if ever). I just want to keep it in good comfortable/drivable shape.

To that end, what's my best option for shocks given that I'll likely be keeping it at around 5000k or less miles per year (and progressively less from year to year) going forward? Obviously, the rebuild would be the cheaper option off the bat, but is that something I'm going to have to do every 4-5 years, regardless of actual miles driven? Is it the same story should I spend the money for 3.0's? The extra cost now for a better ride would be worth it to me if I didn't have to worry about having them rebuilt as often down the road.

If the 2.5's and 3.0's are subject to the same rebuild requirements my mostly highway use scenario, at this point, would probably mean the rebuild is the best way to go. That said, I'd likely take them off and send them to Forged Offroad for an upgrade and rebuild (since I'd know exactly what I was getting back).

I've got a set of Jack Stands... would that be sufficient/safe enough for one to use to lift the truck and remove the shocks by themselves? Any special tools required? I'd take it somewhere local to have them done, but I couldn't even get anyone to touch them for the mid perch mod several years back. (had to basically con the dealership into doing it and even they weren't too excited about it.) So... yeah. Basically my biggest concern is the springs on the fronts. Are those something I'm going to have to remove/reinstall myself, or will Forged send them back (springs on) so I can just bolt it back on?

Any advice would be appreciated... and probably help push me into action since I've been sitting on the fence about this for the past 5-6 months. lol :D

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, it doesn't make sense to go to 3.0s or other far more expensive shocks when you will only be street driving it (or even with light off-roading). I'd just stick with getting a new set of 2.5s from Rock Auto (~$450 per), Tasca, etc. Finding a good rebuilder seems to be hit or miss (mostly miss from the research that I've done here and elsewhere). Buy a set of new 2.5's and sell your old ones to recoup some of the cost.

Eyespyautomotive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going rebuild, just send them to Fox, they aren't any more expensive and you can avoid all the issues people seem to be having with aftermarket rebuilders.

The rears are easy, the fronts are more work to get out and you will have to rent a spring tool to take the springs off. Or stop by a shop and pay em 10 bucks a piece to remove them.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with not going 3.0s if you mostly drive street, as nice as they look they will be stiffer than the 2.5s even with doing adjustments on the 3.0s.

You guys are getting high mileage out of your stock shocks.
I had three blown shocks at 22,000, all wonderful pothole riddled streets of NYC, no offroading.
I purchased all four at Ford Tascaparts $1,400 shipped,
that was 4 years ago and they were running a bigger sale at that time, the price is up a little now $1,600 plus shipping.
It was right around the time my rearend failed (under warranty) so I just let the dealer install them $460.
I'm glad I bought them from Tasca, the dealer I used wanted $2,700 with a 10% loyalty discount just for the shocks,
what a rip off.

How bad is the rust especially around the perch adjustment collar on the front shocks,
because if you have to do complete rebuild (tubes and shafts and all), they might not be that much cheaper than buying new ones.

Last edited:

Dvidal

Reaction score
I had three blown shocks at 22,000, I purchased all four at Ford Tascaparts $1,400 shipped,
that was 4 years ago and they were running a bigger sale at that time, the price is up a little now $1,600 plus shipping.
It was right around the time my rearend failed (under warranty) so I just let the dealer install them $460.
I'm glad I bought them from Tasca, the dealer I used wanted $2,700 with a 10% loyalty discount just for the shocks,
what a rip off.

How bad is the rust especially around the collar on the front shocks,
because if you have to do complete rebuild (tubes and shafts and all), they might not be that much cheaper than buying new ones.
+1
CC.jpg

OP
OP
Harblar

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, it doesn't make sense to go to 3.0s or other far more expensive shocks when you will only be street driving it (or even with light off-roading). I'd just stick with getting a new set of 2.5s from Rock Auto (~$450 per), Tasca, etc. Finding a good rebuilder seems to be hit or miss (mostly miss from the research that I've done here and elsewhere). Buy a set of new 2.5's and sell your old ones to recoup some of the cost.

I hadn't realized the OEM parts were in that price range. Just expected new to be around $2-3k. Makes way more sense to just get oem and have someone local swap them on and do new tires at the same time. Would think it'd be pretty easy to get $4-500 for the old ones, at the least.

Here's the two part numbers I found on Rock Auto:

Front Shock x2
Rear Shock x2

Is that all I'd need to do the swap? (obviously reusing the front springs I currently have) If so, that puts me at just over $1400 shipped, and only $400 ahead of what I figure a rebuild would cost me. Providing that's all I need, I think that's definitely the way to go.

The only thing that had me considering the 3.0's is if they would last much longer than 2.5's, thus justifying the cost over time. Didn't think that was the case, but thought it worthwhile to ask just in case.

I agree with not going 3.0s if you mostly drive street, as nice as they look they will be stiffer than the 2.5s even with doing adjustments on the 3.0s.

I had three blown shocks at 22,000, all wonderful pothole riddled streets of NYC, no offroading.
I purchased all four at Ford Tascaparts $1,400 shipped,
what a rip off.

How bad is the rust especially around the perch adjustment collar on the front shocks,

Don't think the rust is too bad, though I haven't taken an overly close look yet. Truck's been in a heated garage or shop since I bought it new.

Dealer's are ridiculous for what they want most of the time. Had a puppy get under my Mom's Lincoln and chew a wire off one of the rear air-ride struts. First the dealer wanted to put a whole new strut assembly in for like $1500 just in parts. I found the same part on Tasca for $500. First, I asked them why they couldn't just solder/splice the wires back together. It was only a 2 conductor wire in a thick rubber jacket. Don't know how many excuses I heard as to why that couldn't be done, so then I asked them about just letting me buy the parts and have them install. Their service manager got pissy as hell and practically started yelling at me like I'd just insulted his mother. I kept my cool and left... went home, spliced the wires together myself (fixed all the problems and hasn't had a single issue since!) and then lit up their yelp page (google reviews, etc...) with a glowing explanation of just exactly what I thought of their service department. :rolleyes: