Gen 1 Unknown Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCM

Reaction score
Here’s my ‘13 scab. This noise is coming from the front and started recently when my trucks cold or been sitting for a few hours. It gets a lot quieter after driving for a little bit but is still there. It seems like it’s something with the engine belts or belt bearings. Also could be IWE but when I’m in 2wd my front drive shaft spins freely by hand so it doesn’t seem like it’s engaging the hubs. I’m not trying to go to the dealership and have them make up a bunch of stuff. Thanks and turn volume up for video!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it safe to drive straight in 4wd on pavement as long as i don’t turn? What do you mean by pads?

Yes, as long as you don't go around turns and your tires are evenly worn it will not hurt it to be in 4WD on pavement for testing purposes. Doesn't sounds like an IWE to me but it's hard to tell from the video with the wind noise.

OP
OP
KCM

KCM

Reaction score
Yes, as long as you don't go around turns and your tires are evenly worn it will not hurt it to be in 4WD on pavement for testing purposes. Doesn't sounds like an IWE to me but it's hard to tell from the video with the wind noise.
I’ll test tonight and get a better video if It’s not the iwe thanks

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Noise still happens in 4wd
Not IWE. I agree it could be brakes. Jack up a wheel and spin it. You may have to have the truck running to disengage the IWE and let the wheel spin freely.

I once bent a dust shield to where it made minor contact and made a similar noise.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drive with two feet and depress the brake, does the sound change.
It does sound like the brake pad wear sensor is touching.