GEN 1 Gen 1 Too Heavy for Load Range C Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK92

Reaction score
I decided to buy some new Toyo Open Country A/T III (111Q C2) in 35x12.5R17 for my Gen 1. I wanted a load range C tire since my Raptor is a 100% pavement princess.

I just spoke with Discount Tire, and they refused to sell me the tire because apparently the weight of the vehicle exceeds the limit for load range C.

Can someone confirm if this is true? I've read several posts on FRF about people putting load C on their Raptors.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I decided to buy some new Toyo Open Country A/T III (111Q C2) in 35x12.5R17 for my Gen 1. I wanted a load range C tire since my Raptor is a 100% pavement princess.

I just spoke with Discount Tire, and they refused to sell me the tire because apparently the weight of the vehicle exceeds the limit for load range C.

Can someone confirm if this is true? I've read several posts on FRF about people putting load C on their Raptors.
Definitely not true. They do have a lesser load than stock and that's what Discount Tire looks at. Those Toyo's are rated for 9,620lbs in the C rating.

That said, I had these exact tires on my GEN1 briefly and I did not like it. Max PSI is 35 so you'll have to live with the TPMS light or get a tuner to lower the threshold. Mine is set to come at 30 PSI so it wasn't an issue. But the tires at 35psi still felt very squishy and made the handling feel off. Personally, the lowest load rating I'd go with after that experience is probably a D or anything above a 113 load index.

And I have a SCAB so a little less weight then you as well.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've run 2 sets of c rated KO2's on my gen 1, approx 55k per set, same as original D rated KO's. I ran them at 40-44 psi and rotated at 5k interval, tread wear was even on all tires to the wear bars and beyond.

Crashtest22

Reaction score
I know this is a older thread but I wanted to give my opinion on c vs e rating. not on the raptor and I will not try c on it because of this......
on my f250 I have always run E cause its diesel and weighs allot....I put some C rated tires on it per the rec of my buddy at the tire shop. The squirm from those tires was enough to scare the **** out of me getting on the highway.. E tires are so much more stiff and the power the raptor puts out I would imagine it would squirm just as much if not more.
End of the day E for me :)
p.s. took those tires back for terra grapplers in E rating the next day