Gen 1 to Gen 2 suspension conversion methods, buckets vs retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Degen

Reaction score
I know this topic has been covered a lot, but I haven’t found anything comparing KHC/Camburg buckets to Doug’s retrofit kit.

So from what I under stand:

Buckets:https://khcoap.com/products/gen-1-r...ver-conversion-buckets?variant=41772242927815
Pros:
Direct fit gen 2 shocks
Longer shock body = more oil (?)
More aftermarket options with the gen 2 shock
Cons:
Cutting old buckets out
Spring rate on the gen 2 shocks is not great for the gen 1

Doug’s retrofit kit:https://mikramfg.com/shop/kits/f-150-raptor-3-0-front-shock-retrofit-kit
Pros:
Uses the correct spring rate
No modifying of the frame
Cons:
Have to disassemble gen 2 shock and gen 1 shock to make a hybrid
Stuck with gen 1 style shorter shocks in aftermarket

Has anyone had experience with both? Anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally I would prefer the longer shock with the new located upper mounts (front and rear), but that depends on how much work you would want to put into it.

Running the new upper mounts would give you a larger range of shocks to choose from.

Do you happen to know the spring rates between the two gens? I believe at least on the king replacements, that king uses the same 600lbs/in 16” spring. So the spring rate issue may not be much of one. If I recall, gen 1 oem spring rate is 550lbs/in.

Just throwing info out.

OP
OP
Degen

Degen

Reaction score
You may be right in the spring rates, this is what I found on this forum:

2010 front coil PN# from Tascaparts.com
Coil Spring- 560 lbs per inch, 13.25 " of normal working height, ID is 4.0" , 0.746 wire dia.
Part Number: HL3Z-5310-A

2017 Front Coil PN# from Tascaparts.com
Coil Spring- 533 lbs per inch
Part Number: AL3Z-5310-B

But I’ve seen gen 1 reference anywhere from 550-600 lbs/in so not 100% on these numbers if someone has more info