GEN 1 Suspension help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some help. I have a gen 1 and it’s time to replace suspsension. 55000 miles on the truck. I live in Massachusetts, truck is my daily driver, with slight off-roading. Should I rebuild the OEM suspension, or upgrade to a set of 3.0? I wanna keep it comfortable on the street, and level it out like perch mod would do. Also is there anything else I should replace when doing the shocks over while it’s all apart?

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some help. I have a gen 1 and it’s time to replace suspsension. 55000 miles on the truck. I live in Massachusetts, truck is my daily driver, with slight off-roading. Should I rebuild the OEM suspension, or upgrade to a set of 3.0? I wanna keep it comfortable on the street, and level it out like perch mod would do. Also is there anything else I should replace when doing the shocks over while it’s all apart?
Big price difference there. I beat mine up pretty good and I still go with rebuilds - though I do frequently consider the 3.0s. You'll notice a big difference with a fresh rebuild. Other to dos I'd recommend (since I've done this way too many times).

Check your brakes
Pressure test and possibly replace IWEs - you can test them ahead of time, but replacing them is super simple when doing the shocks
Inspect/replace Wheel bearings
Replace axle seals if leaking - you are RIGHT there

At 55K miles your bearings are likely fine, but IWEs are a crap shoot.

Also, make sure to disconnect your sway bar link. It makes thinks way easier getting the front shocks out/in.

On the rear end I'd simply check brakes. You don't HAVE to pull your tire to replace the shocks, but it's much easier if you do. Ask me how I know.

Make sure you put locktite on your front axle nuts when you reassemble. Also make sure you have a very big torque wrench to hit that 406 ft/lbs on the front lower shock bolt. It's best practice to replace that bolt rather than reuse.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace your springs when you rebuild. Personally I’d go with rebuild as it seems the 50k mile recommendation from Fox seems to be a little on the long side.

Most here seem to report that they need replacing/rebuilding before then.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
I’m not really worried about the price points. I’ve been reading the forums, and hear horror shows about rebuilds. Most reviews seem positive, so that’s why I was asking about 3.0 upgrade as well as I just don’t wanna deal with a horror show as it’d be my luck.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you arent doing a ton of off-roading, I'd just stick with rebuilds. A 3.0 is a large upgrade. If you've got the money and it isn't as big of a factor to you, go for it, just know that they may need rebuilds again soon, but so will many shocks.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to check balljoints, although at that mileage not likely an issue. I would recommend cam bolts on the LCA's, https://www.freedommotorsports.us/i...it-w-upgraded-bolts.html?ref=category:1182750 , and supporting a forum vendor there, have had good experience with them. If money was no object I'd go straight to 3.0's but I tend to go overboard so by the time it was all said and done I'd have Methods, 37's, UCA's, 4.56 gears and an ungodly list of associated parts. If you like working on things the rebuild route is a fun project too.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not really worried about the price points. I’ve been reading the forums, and hear horror shows about rebuilds. Most reviews seem positive, so that’s why I was asking about 3.0 upgrade as well as I just don’t wanna deal with a horror show as it’d be my luck.
I've rebuilt mine a couple times. I actually have two sets so I can have one rebuilt while not taking down my truck. Only issue I've had was a nick in a shaft once that was missed which resulted in immediate failure of the rebuilt shock. It was covered by warranty and all is well.
Add schrader valves and flutter stacks during rebuild.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do the 3.0 come with shock hats/mounts? Or should I order new ones?

Fox 3.0 ditches the factory 2 piece sandwich up top and bolt directly to the upper shock tower. Comes with all the necessary hardware.
If you plan to keep the truck awhile, and the investment is not going to be too much, I would go 3.0 with Deavers and be done.
If you dont plan to keep it that long but want to avoid a rebuild, you can order new 2.5's from Rock Auto