Gen 1 Raptor vs. Tundra TRD Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This truck will be replacing my old work truck so it’ll do mostly everything. I live up in Canada so definitely no deserts but I do work in agriculture (farming equipment) and also run seasonal hunting/fishing trips around the country and some of the trails in BC and Alaska can get pretty rough, not an extreme off-roader though and 70% will be highway/dirt road miles (nothing my Superduty couldn’t handle). As for upgrades, grill guard and a rear facing bar light are a must but other than that, thinking of keeping it stock until something breaks. I hope to keep this truck for years to come as a daily driver so I’ll be taking good care of it.

Reliability is important to me because I’m usually out in the middle of nowhere miles from anything so obviously don’t want to get stranded too often.

So obviously biased but grew up on Fords. The Raptor will suit your needs nicely stock. Anything else is a plus. I’m sure Tundras can be nice, but really the Raptor has no competition even after 9 years and 2 generations of trucks. Good luck with whatever route you choose. Sorry your thread went to shit because one dude wants to swing on Toyota’s nuts.

OP
OP
CanadianRaptorVL
Reaction score
So obviously biased but grew up on Fords. The Raptor will suit your needs nicely stock. Anything else is a plus. I’m sure Tundras can be nice, but really the Raptor has no competition even after 9 years and 2 generations of trucks. Good luck with whatever route you choose. Sorry your thread went to shit because one dude wants to swing on Toyota’s nuts.

I grew up on diesels so I was pretty lost when it came to purchasing a half-ton. Didn’t want to buy a lemon and regret it later because I didn’t do enough research (my old roots told me to go Toyota because it seemed like the safest option). I’ve been reading through the forum and y’all have been really helpful so I appreciate that! Hopefully I’ll have a truck by New Years; we’ll see what I can find

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I’ll have a truck by New Years; we’ll see what I can find

where abouts in Canada are you?

seems where I am in Alberta has the biggest selection, I've also seen 12 through 14s on kijiji from mid 30s to 52k (52k is supercharged). if you're out east and close to the boarder you could buy a US truck, just a thought.

OP
OP
CanadianRaptorVL
Reaction score
where abouts in Canada are you?

seems where I am in Alberta has the biggest selection, I've also seen 12 through 14s on kijiji from mid 30s to 52k (52k is supercharged). if you're out east and close to the boarder you could buy a US truck, just a thought.

I live on the east coast but I travel all around Canada for work so going to AB to buy a truck isn't out of the question. I think mileage is the biggest thing I'll be looking out for. Preferably a 2013/2014 (no supercharger) that's around 100,000 kms or so. Would also prefer a neutral colour like black/white as to not draw too much attention, I've seen some Raptors with wacky colours haha

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live on the east coast but I travel all around Canada for work so going to AB to buy a truck isn't out of the question. I think mileage is the biggest thing I'll be looking out for. Preferably a 2013/2014 (no supercharger) that's around 100,000 kms or so. Would also prefer a neutral colour like black/white as to not draw too much attention, I've seen some Raptors with wacky colours haha

The only Raptor on kijiji with under 100k lol.

2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $ 48,594

OP
OP
CanadianRaptorVL
Reaction score
The only Raptor on kijiji with under 100k lol.

2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $ 48,594

Ouch lol, I’ll keep looking. I have a company truck I can take home for the time being so not in too much of a hurry. Hopefully something surfaces soon. I’m honestly ok with anything under $50,000 given the condition is good. The special edition red looks really nice too but those are probably even harder to come by!

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty simple - if you want an appliance, get the Tundra. Nothing wrong with that - a lot of people make that choice. If you want functionality and some fun, choose the Raptor.

One thing to note - that 5.7L V8 is one of the few engines that might get worse fuel economy than the 6.2.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ceramic coating, blow off valves, and forscan mods are gay

One correction- Forscan is the ******* bomb.

I'm with you guys on this. Toyotas fail just like anything else out there. Ball joints, head gaskets, power lock actuators, sunroofs, all the typical shit. They've gotten worse in the last 10 years too.

They certainly aren't as bad as Nissan, but they are nothing special IMO. Toyota dealerships are full of Toyotas being repaired, as are private garages.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife has a Rav4 and its cost us a fortune on a couple of occasions. Worst was when I hit a stick laying in the road and it took out one of the fuel line emission components (looks like a coffee can with charcoal in it)...Four thousand ******* dollars for that incident.

The service guy eyeballed my Raptor damn near the entire time he spent writing up the Rav too...jealous ******! I think they were glad when I finally moved the truck out from in front of their showroom. Toyotas are for cucks LOL...