Gen-1 Raptor Questions (advice appreciated!) -new to forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post on the forums regarding a "potential" future purchase! I saw a tan colored Gen-1 Raptor on the road a week ago and it has peaked my interest ever since. I currently drive a Toyota Tacoma but have always wanted to upgrade to a full-size truck. My reasons for getting a Raptor might be a little unconventional as I mainly like the reliabiliy, hydraulic steering, and non-techy simplisity of the truck while the cool factor is an added bonus. Any ol' truck would meet my towing needs which is at max 7000lbs (just want a truck I'll love driving and appreciate for a long time instead of a generic one)

So the questions I have are:

Is it a good daily driver for city, highway, and country roads? (Comfort & Noise)
Does the width and height ever become an inconvience?
Is the 5.4L as reliable as the 6.2L?
Any significant difference to keep in mind between the 2010-14 models?
Major things to look for when buying used and what mileage would be too much?
Does it attract too much attention (positive/negative)?
Do I need premium 91 Octane gas or is the regular 87 Octane ok for the 6.2L?

This is my first post on any forum to be exact so I apologize if I'm asking too many questions haha. This is my first "unconventional" vehicle purchase and thought you guys would be the most knowledgable!
Currently living in Northern Ontario Canada!

Cheers,
Victor

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor is great as a DD. Very good street manners, but obviously bigger than your Toyota, or a regular f150... Not an issue for me. If you live in a big city, you could have issues.
Mileage is not great, to say the least. The 5.4 in the Raptor has all the upgrades and is a good motor, but you really should look for a 6.2... drive one and you'll understand...
The 6.2 doesn't require premium, but it makes a little more power and will last longer with good fuel. It is not flex fuel capable, so ethanol is not a good thing.
The later years had more upgrades like the rear axle got bigger, addition of the torsen front differential, front camera, sync 3, HID headlights, etc.
It does attract attention, but nothing crazy. Every bro dozer next to you at the light will try to race you.
Good luck and report back if you get one. And post pics!

OP
OP
VictorLin0725

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
The Raptor is great as a DD. Very good street manners, but obviously bigger than your Toyota, or a regular f150... Not an issue for me. If you live in a big city, you could have issues.
Mileage is not great, to say the least. The 5.4 in the Raptor has all the upgrades and is a good motor, but you really should look for a 6.2... drive one and you'll understand...
The 6.2 doesn't require premium, but it makes a little more power and will last longer with good fuel. It is not flex fuel capable, so ethanol is not a good thing.
The later years had more upgrades like the rear axle got bigger, addition of the torsen front differential, front camera, sync 3, HID headlights, etc.
It does attract attention, but nothing crazy. Every bro dozer next to you at the light will try to race you.
Good luck and report back if you get one. And post pics!

Hey thanks for the detailed response! Also, by later years would that be the 13 and 14? I will commute around the city often but I think it'll be worth it haha. I'll definetly post any updates but might need to travel to the US to find one. There are less than 15 listed for sale in Canada and some of them are not the supercrew version I want. I guess we'll see!

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Vic, welcome to the site! It really depends on where you live in the big smoke that you will have some issues witht the truck. Height wise, underground parking is a concern, nothing under 6'8 will clear, and the parking spots can be fairly narrow in some of them. Otherwise, it is a fantastic truck. Averages about 16-17 overall (litres per KM) but since its size, weight, wheels and air displacement are so large, personally, I can justify it. The truck is just too damn fun to drive! If you want to take a closer look, I am in Toronto a ton for work, message me, we can meet up for coffee so you can check it out and get a better idea of wether it will work for you, all the questions are easily answered!

OP
OP
VictorLin0725

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Hey Vic, welcome to the site! It really depends on where you live in the big smoke that you will have some issues witht the truck. Height wise, underground parking is a concern, nothing under 6'8 will clear, and the parking spots can be fairly narrow in some of them. Otherwise, it is a fantastic truck. Averages about 16-17 overall (litres per KM) but since its size, weight, wheels and air displacement are so large, personally, I can justify it. The truck is just too damn fun to drive! If you want to take a closer look, I am in Toronto a ton for work, message me, we can meet up for coffee so you can check it out and get a better idea of wether it will work for you, all the questions are easily answered!

Thanks for the offer I'll see what I can do! Do you find it alright navigating downtown Toronto traffic and whatnot? I guess as long as it stays in the lanes (which I'm sure it will) then it'll be ok. Guess I'll be visiting the gas pump a little more than I would have liked haha. What do you do in Toronto? I'm usually down here for work and classes near TGH

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the detailed response! Also, by later years would that be the 13 and 14? I will commute around the city often but I think it'll be worth it haha. I'll definetly post any updates but might need to travel to the US to find one. There are less than 15 listed for sale in Canada and some of them are not the supercrew version I want. I guess we'll see!

'12 had most of the drivetrain upgrades (rear axle, torsen front differential) and the front camera. 13 and 14 got HID headlights option and Sync 3, which I hear is much better than the sync 2, but I have no complaints about my antiquated Sync 2... Then again, I'm not a geardo and could care less about infotainment.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Vic. I have a 2011 with the 6.2L. I drive it every DAY and currently have a 145,000 miles on it. NEVER had a problem. Just one coil pack crapped out on me was the only problem u have had. Never use anything less than 89 octane. 87 gets horrible gas mileage. So I use 89. I got 18 MPG traveling with the family from CT to Ocean City Maryland cruise control set at 75mph. Just an Awesome Truck. Had my Suspension rebuilt from Forged Off Road. Highly recommend them.

OP
OP
VictorLin0725

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Hi Vic. I have a 2011 with the 6.2L. I drive it every DAY and currently have a 145,000 miles on it. NEVER had a problem. Just one coil pack crapped out on me was the only problem u have had. Never use anything less than 89 octane. 87 gets horrible gas mileage. So I use 89. I got 18 MPG traveling with the family from CT to Ocean City Maryland cruise control set at 75mph. Just an Awesome Truck. Had my Suspension rebuilt from Forged Off Road. Highly recommend them.

Appreciate the help! Would you say that it drives heavy? I don't mind getting low gas mileage but I don't want to "feel" like I'm driving a tank down the road. Does it feel as light on its feet as a regular F-150 for is it a little more lumbering in comparison? Cheers

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Appreciate the help! Would you say that it drives heavy? I don't mind getting low gas mileage but I don't want to "feel" like I'm driving a tank down the road. Does it feel as light on its feet as a regular F-150 for is it a little more lumbering in comparison? Cheers

It is heavier than an f150, buy the 6.2 and the suspension make it feel pretty nimble for such a big truck. Find one to test drive. I have to drive my company car during the week, so I really look forward to driving my Raptor whenever I can.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feels light. I have owned Super Dutys and Regular F150s. That 6.2L Greats so much power that your foot is Barely on the Gas Pedal. When u do it will throw you into your seat. The Suspension is AWESOME. It's not made for Heavy loads but I di MX on the weekends and carrys my bike and all equipment Very Well. Get Your Front Suspension Set to Mid Perch setting and you well Notice a HUGE improvement in handling. The Truck was Originally designed for that setting but the DOT told Ford the bumper height was to high thus FOX made a correction but any suspension shop can very easily set to Mid Perch and cheaply.