GEN 1 RAPTOR 6.2L ENGINE QUESTION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 6.2L GEN 1 raptor has a little valve tapping that I hear when the windows are closed…. I run full synthetic and some lucus oil additive … should I run a little thicker oil than the 5-20 on the cap ?? The engine does have 226,000 miles but from what I’ve been told everyone says I should get 400,000 out of this engine …. I run full synthetic , K&N oil filter , premium fuel , and cleaned throttle body and mass air flow sensor …. The valve tapping isn’t super bad but I hear it with the windows closed …

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s valve tapping? Can you hear the sound coming from the valve covers when outside the truck? Is it a constant sound or only on startup?

Fuel injectors or a bad evap canister purge valve can also make ticking/tapping noises.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Sounds like possibly injectors then … I don’t hear it outside the vehicle… only when I’m giving it gas and windows up

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check engine bay at night without a flashlight; I have coils that are arcing to the block that makes a ticking sound. Had to video it at night to see the arc. Could be your problem…or not, who knows…

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
My Bet is on the coils arching....several threads on that, including my personal experiences with the mystery Vampire ticking only seen at night