Gen 1 questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stu

Reaction score
I have been lurking for a while and considering a gen 1 or gen 2. I bought a 2017 Denali 2500 in January because we were going to get a larger camper which we never got, and the 2500 ride is just too stiff for me unloaded. I am hoping to not completely lose my shirt and will likely pursue a gen 1 (looking at one today). I have driven a few gen 2 trucks and love the tech- just not in a position to buy 2 50k +trucks in a year. How is the road noise in a gen 1, and how easy is it to upgrade the tech- apple car play specifically? Thanks in advance

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well considering diesels are in high demand I'd expect you'd retain a fair amount from selling your Dmax.

as far as road noise... it's fine? the Gen 1 with it's 6.2 is a loud brash truck when it wants to be, yet is as quiet as any 5 to 10 year old truck can be. Remember you drive near new Dmax and like the Gen 2s, like your GM they are quieter than the Gen 1s, so don't expect it to be like a brand new truck.

and the tech is an easy upgrade if you want to drop 2k on a sync 3 system from infotainment.com or 4Dtech. read through the forum and you'll see guys did the sync 3 upgrade for under a grand by sourcing the parts.

also the Gen 1 has a towing capacity of 7k.. that's a hell of a lot less than your 2500. if you still need to pull anything more than that you may not want to go this route. your money though.

OP
OP
S

Stu

Reaction score
Thanks, my 2500 is gas... but we will see. I have nothing to tow any more which is why I am selling/trading. Bought a river cottage instead, so the 2500 was purchased for naught- thank you wifey! A boat may be in the cards next year but it won’t be over 7k. Thanks. Going to test drive one now.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, you're going to have a tough time with a gen 1 if you like the quietness and tech of the gen 2 you drove. They are just different in those categories. The gen 1 is a little more truck like than the gen 2, in that you will get more road noise and less refinement, but it's an older truck.

As far as Apple CarPlay, you'd basically be looking into one of those android radio conversions or an aftermarket double din radio with CarPlay capabilities.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2500 is gas

ahhhh ok that makes more sense as to why you'd question the hit youd take!

you're going to have a tough time with a gen 1 if you like the quietness

he should put an aFe CAI or something.. that would quiet the 6.2 right down! :D... who am i kidding our Gen 1s are hilariously brash, even when stock.