Gen 1 - new owner in Ontario

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd create post #1 and introduce myself. I've been leveraging all of the knowledge on this site during my search for a gen 1 raptor and performing some of the initial modifications - so first and foremost a big thanks!

I've previously owned 3 different F150's and a Tacoma, so not new to the truck world. My most recent F150 was a 2019 502a Lariat with the Ecoboost engine. So when looking for a Raptor I wanted to get one with the V8 engine...the Ecoboost is great, but I missed the sound/feeling of the V8 from my previous F150. I purchased my 2014 Raptor SVT about 2 weeks ago now, so I've had a chance to check it out thoroughly and do a few required maintenance/modifications.

The truck has a white exterior with blue interior. and all of the options. 140,000km's on the clock (~88,000 miles) at the time of purchase. The previous owner had installed the following:
- AFE intake
- Borla S-type catback exhaust
- King 3.0 suspension
- Fuel 20" wheels with 35" Nitto tires
- lightbar in the front bumper gap

Some of my initial modifications/maintenance items have included:
- Fuse 27 relocation
- greasing all hinges (see below regarding squeaking)
- installed a tailgate damper
- installed softopper from my previous F150
- replaced red stripe on the steering wheel with the builtright kit
- replaced HID bulbs
- replaced all white exterior bulbs with LED (reverse, cargo lamp, puddle lamps, plate light etc.)
- removed the drive shaft and lubed the slip yoke
- removed and painted the running boards - I'll get these professionally re-sprayed/lined next year
- added the builtright stubby antenna
- pedal commander

I did spend a few days greasing everything I could trying to find a squeak that would appear after hitting any sort of bump or crack on the road. Couldn't really hear it with the windows closed, but with the windows down or the back sliding window open it was annoying. Turned out to be the rear suspension - the previous owner had the compression and rebound wound fully out to be as soft as possible...but it was causing the shock to make a sharp squeaking noise on the return stroke. I turned in the rebound adjustment a few clicks and that was enough to remove 99% of the sound.

At some point I'll need to have the Kings rebuilt, but given my offroad use of the truck will be limited to driving in the snow for 6 months of the year here in Ontario, are the OEM Fox shocks more compliant? I understand that offroad shocks aren't as plush as you might otherwise assume b/c they're built to handle high speed without compromising the handling of the truck...but the Kings are pretty stiff, even at full soft settings. I'll probably need to purchase an OEM set to use while the Kings are getting rebuilt, so I'll have a chance to see if the stock ones are more compliant for daily driving.

The last item I've been chasing is a noise that appears on initial throttle application. Whether from a start or while rolling, when I touch the throttle with anything from light to moderate application there's a fluttering/humming type of noise that occurs for about 500rpm and then disappears again. It's most pronounced between 1,400-1,900 rpm and it will come and go with gear shifts as you drop in and out of that range when on the gas. For example, starting from a stop in 1st gear, the noise starts at 1,400rpm then goes away at 1,900rpm and re-appears when the truck shifts to 2nd and the rpms drop back in that range.

It's not speed dependent and there's no vibration through the steering wheel or pedal, so I'm assuming it's not a wheel bearing or anything with the brakes. I thought maybe it was the slip yoke, but I've greased that and nothing changed. Sound is the same, whether in 2W or 4W, and it's not a grinding noise so I don't think it's the IWE's. I'm wondering if it's either a resonance of the exhaust at a particular rpm/engine load or if it's the airbox at a specific engine load or a combination thereof. I've been underneath the truck with a rubber mallet trying to see if there's something loose, like a heat shield - but everything seems to be good. Any thoughts for other obvious or known items? Anyone with the AFE who has noticed a similar noise?

Thanks in advance! Here are a couple of pics...snapped them after my drive to work this morning, apologies for the poor lighting.

topper 1.jpg2topper 1.jpg

BeEvil

Reaction score
Congratulations. I’m in Ontario also and looking to buy a Raptor. Looking for a 2013/2014 in Tuxedo Black. Looked at a few but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’m in the GTA. Hopefully you are close by. Would love have a look at yours and get some advice.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'14 Tuxedo Black checkin in, way not close, down south in Georgia

#Blackraptorsmatter

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
I don't think so, everything seems to be in good condition. I started another thread about tracking down the sound - I think it's coming from my CAI. The previous owner installed an AFR intake and I'm thinking it's the elimination of the airbox resonator that's causing a brief vibration noise at certain engine loads. I'm tempted to purchase the stock parts to switch back and see if that's what has been causing the sound.