Gen 1 Mullett Suspension Ask?- Anyone running gen 1’s in the front and gen 2’s in the back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Eye to eye measurement at ride height: 24.5”

exposed shaft: 5.75”

distance from strike plate to full bump compression: 8.5”

Attachments

• 8C2BFAA9-DB97-4293-A198-570146D8649D.jpeg
    8C2BFAA9-DB97-4293-A198-570146D8649D.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 7

Primez

Reaction score
Update:
Eye to eye measurement at ride height: 24.5”

exposed shaft: 5.75”

distance from strike plate to full bump compression: 8.5”
I stole some of the measurements from the other guys thread but I think you have just a tad more bump travel than the shocks will allow.
Assuming the measurements in the other thread are accurate, the only thing we really need to solve for is the up travel distance. If the maximum up travel distance is greater than the distance from your strike plate to full bump, then you should be in the clear.

I noticed your 8.5” measurement was to the shock body rather than bottom of the bump plate. It looks like there’s somewhere between 1-1.5” of thickness on the bump pad so there is a bit of wiggle room. Assuming we lean to the low side at one inch... that puts you at around 7.5” of up travel needed for full compression. Max compression only allows a max of ~7” of up travel based on where you sit right now. So you’re probably around 0.5” shy of being able to fully compress to your strike plate.

with this in mind... you should definitely be able to at least touch the strike plates but likely will not be able to fully compress in its current configuration.

hopefully this helps!

Attachments

• C5F30A85-B7A9-4261-A756-4846AF098854.jpeg
    C5F30A85-B7A9-4261-A756-4846AF098854.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 9

Primez

Reaction score
I stole some of the measurements from the other guys thread but I think you have just a tad more bump travel than the shocks will allow.
Assuming the measurements in the other thread are accurate, the only thing we really need to solve for is the up travel distance. If the maximum up travel distance is greater than the distance from your strike plate to full bump, then you should be in the clear.

I noticed your 8.5” measurement was to the shock body rather than bottom of the bump plate. It looks like there’s somewhere between 1-1.5” of thickness on the bump pad so there is a bit of wiggle room. Assuming we lean to the low side at one inch... that puts you at around 7.5” of up travel needed for full compression. Max compression only allows a max of ~7” of up travel based on where you sit right now. So you’re probably around 0.5” shy of being able to fully compress to your strike plate.

with this in mind... you should definitely be able to at least touch the strike plates but likely will not be able to fully compress in its current configuration.

hopefully this helps!
I also just realized.... if you are this close... bumping up to the full size Raptor axle would probably be just enough to allow full bump compression. Something to look forward too! :head3:

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score

hopefully this helps!

thank you for the details. I don’t know why I included the strike pad and end cap as part of the measurement. This helps a lot, I can’t imagine a time when I’ll drive this truck than I did the other day trying to hit the strike plate. I think the valving in the Gen 2s is really effective near the end of the travel length because it feels like it’ll never bottom out with the driving I do. I guess these bumps were WAY overkill for my type of driving. Thank you again for the photo and explanation help.

Primez

Reaction score
thank you for the details. I don’t know why I included the strike pad and end cap as part of the measurement. This helps a lot, I can’t imagine a time when I’ll drive this truck than I did the other day trying to hit the strike plate. I think the valving in the Gen 2s is really effective near the end of the travel length because it feels like it’ll never bottom out with the driving I do. I guess these bumps were WAY overkill for my type of driving. Thank you again for the photo and explanation help.
My pleasure :)

You can always run some real world tests on some dusty roads and just check to see which part of the shock shaft is clean vs dirty. The shocks tend to get a nice little dirt ring around the biggest compression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free