Gen 1 Mullett Suspension Ask?- Anyone running gen 1’s in the front and gen 2’s in the back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so got delayed a week on the rear shocks. Will report back with pics once installed. The front is done gen 1 OEM shocks installed with Mid perch mod. Bottom pic is before and top is after, I completely forgot to measure. I will measure the rear height prior to install.

Attachments

• 59B168CA-B10F-4E63-AFD3-9E8E76A354C2.jpeg
    59B168CA-B10F-4E63-AFD3-9E8E76A354C2.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 34C6C89E-742F-4FF9-89B9-FF935470DD4A.jpeg
    34C6C89E-742F-4FF9-89B9-FF935470DD4A.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 99DD20E7-F568-4E40-B4B8-9E8ABA4B337F.jpeg
    99DD20E7-F568-4E40-B4B8-9E8ABA4B337F.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a ton of threads around that go into greater detail on this topic... but the short answer is: yes. Absolutely. Gen 2 Rear shocks are a straight swap. No issues with length, size, compression, etc etc. Gen 2 shocks will also hit the bump stops before hitting shock bottoms.
I have been concerned about this since I installed my bumpstop kit and removed the OEM rubber bumps. I say this because I have taken some pretty serious dips TRYING to make the bump stops contact the strike plates but have yet to do so. I have a f150 (gen 1 swap) with icon rear leafs and the forged Offroad 2.5 bumpstop kit BUT running gen 2 rear shocks. To date I haven’t contacted the strike plate once, I have been airborn a few times and still no contact. Maybe im not sending hard enough? Any thoughts?

Primez

Reaction score
I have been concerned about this since I installed my bumpstop kit and removed the OEM rubber bumps. I say this because I have taken some pretty serious dips TRYING to make the bump stops contact the strike plates but have yet to do so. I have a f150 (gen 1 swap) with icon rear leafs and the forged Offroad 2.5 bumpstop kit BUT running gen 2 rear shocks. To date I haven’t contacted the strike plate once, I have been airborn a few times and still no contact. Maybe im not sending hard enough? Any thoughts?
The Last Gen 2 Shock Swap Thread

check out this thread. This one explains the swap and the math.

Primez

Reaction score
Thanks, I replied to that thread too. Hopefully I can get some details with the Gen 2 shock paired with the 2.5 bumpstop kit.
How much extra travel do you gain from your bump kit? Usually aftermarket bump stops gain like .5” or even 1” of up travel.
In the thread, he notes that at full stock bump (measured as contact with the metal plate of factory bump), there’s about 3/8” of travel left in the shock. If your bump stops are giving more than 1/2” of additional up travel, then you are probably be maxing out the shocks.

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much extra travel do you gain from your bump kit? Usually aftermarket bump stops gain like .5” or even 1” of up travel.
In the thread, he notes that at full stock bump (measured as contact with the metal plate of factory bump), there’s about 3/8” of travel left in the shock. If your bump stops are giving more than 1/2” of additional up travel, then you are probably be maxing out the shocks.
Best photo I could find to compare. The distances look similar with the OEM bump and 2.5 bumpstop. The OEM bump is lowered with the extension piece included in the ICON leaf kit. But it doesn’t look like that much more overall “bump” travel.

Attachments

• AA508944-3E39-4313-999E-696B095AD76D.jpeg
    AA508944-3E39-4313-999E-696B095AD76D.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 12

Primez

Reaction score
Best photo I could find to compare. The distances look similar with the OEM bump and 2.5 bumpstop. The OEM bump is lowered with the extension piece included in the ICON leaf kit. But it doesn’t look like that much more overall “bump” travel.
Are you using factory F150 rear axle or Raptor axle? The difference in diameter could be a factor there as well. Just eye balling from the pics... the factory bump steel plate seems to be about on par with where your aftermarket bumps would be fully compressed, with maybe a slight edge towards the bumps. But if your bump plate is technically lower as a result of the smaller diameter axle, then that could also be contributing

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using factory F150 rear axle or Raptor axle? The difference in diameter could be a factor there as well. Just eye balling from the pics... the factory bump steel plate seems to be about on par with where your aftermarket bumps would be fully compressed, with maybe a slight edge towards the bumps. But if your bump plate is technically lower as a result of the smaller diameter axle, then that could also be contributing
You’re correct, it’s an 8.8” f150 axle. I have been converting to a Gen 1 with the last missing piece of the raptor axle. Trying to find one local (so cal) and a decent price has been a challenge.

from the photos it looks like the bumps should at least strike the plates though correct? Maybe not get the full use of bump travel, but at least touch. I really think I’m not going hard enough in the dirt. Ha.

Primez

Reaction score
You’re correct, it’s an 8.8” f150 axle. I have been converting to a Gen 1 with the last missing piece of the raptor axle. Trying to find one local (so cal) and a decent price has been a challenge.

from the photos it looks like the bumps should at least strike the plates though correct? Maybe not get the full use of bump travel, but at least touch. I really think I’m not going hard enough in the dirt. Ha.
Yeah, based on what I’m seeing, I would expect that you would at least TOUCH the strike plate.

I think we’ll need to get measurements to know for sure what’s happening. You could probably measure from how it sits now. Measure the shock distance from eye to eye and the distance between strike plate and max bump compression. We should be able to extrapolate the rest of the values to determine how you sit.

FYI - I’m also on a converted F150 :)

Last edited:

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, based on what I’m seeing, I would expect that you would at least TOUCH the strike plate.

I think we’ll need to get measurements to know for sure what’s happening. You could probably measure from how it sits now. Measure the shock distance from eye to eye and the distance between strike plate and max bump compression. We should be able to extrapolate the rest of the values to determine how you sit.

FYI - I’m also on a converted F150 :)

awesome, thanks for the details. I’m at work today but I’ll measure tonight and post details this evening.