Gen 1 Mullett Suspension Ask?- Anyone running gen 1’s in the front and gen 2’s in the back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Team, so I am in a unusual position and now I have a question without judgement, lol. Is anyone running Gen 1 OEM shocks in the front and the Gen 2‘s in the back, on a Gen 1? Any issues? Any perceived issues by the techs, and engineers here?

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There wouldn’t be any “issues” with running different shocks, it just may not be very balanced. The Gen 2 shock valving is set up completely differently.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There wouldn’t be any “issues” with running different shocks, it just may not be very balanced. The Gen 2 shock valving is set up completely differently.
You think completely? I'd think it would be pretty comparable, the Gen2 being like 700lbs lighter so at worst the rears are slightly softer, although with the weight balance favoring the front it may not be much at all. But speaking from mere conjecture. @Cowpoke I would rock them, been looking on and off for a cheap pair to try.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think completely? I'd think it would be pretty comparable, the Gen2 being like 700lbs lighter so at worst the rears are slightly softer, although with the weight balance favoring the front it may not be much at all. But speaking from mere conjecture. @Cowpoke I would rock them, been looking on and off for a cheap pair to try.
The only reason I say completely is that they’re longer and because they have so much more shock volume (3.0 vs 2.5) I suspect the valving was changed quite a bit to adjust for that.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I say “completely different”, I doubt most people will notice. I just mean that all of the valving has been changed and setup for different load conditions

Primez

Reaction score
There’s a ton of threads around that go into greater detail on this topic... but the short answer is: yes. Absolutely. Gen 2 Rear shocks are a straight swap. No issues with length, size, compression, etc etc. Gen 2 shocks will also hit the bump stops before hitting shock bottoms.

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill let you know they go on Friday! Like my Alma mater Coach‘s haircut, gonna rock the mullet suspension.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a ton of threads around that go into greater detail on this topic... but the short answer is: yes. Absolutely. Gen 2 Rear shocks are a straight swap. No issues with length, size, compression, etc etc. Gen 2 shocks will also hit the bump stops before hitting shock bottoms.

Sweet! Thanks. I have aftermarket bump stops, good to go.