Gen. 1 Instrument Gages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam C

Reaction score
Greetings All, my 2012 Gen. 1 has gauge cluster issues following installation of an aftermarket face and pointers. Any recommendations on gauge calibration or repair shops?

Thanks -

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh, you just need to de-issuefy it.

Or you could tell us what is going on. Which gauges? What are they doing?

OP
OP
S

Sam C

Reaction score
Hah, appropriate response. The upper instrument pointers are not accurate, probably were not returned to the correct "resting point". What is the best way to correct, should I remove pointers and place at bottom of gauge range or spin pointers counter-clock wise to lowest gauge reading ?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hah, appropriate response. The upper instrument pointers are not accurate, probably were not returned to the correct "resting point". What is the best way to correct, should I remove pointers and place at bottom of gauge range or spin pointers counter-clock wise to lowest gauge reading ?

The upper ones? Like fuel, temp, etc? First I've heard of that.

I had a tach issue where the needle pointed way below zero and maintained being way off as it climbed ( so something like 0 rpm was actually 1500 ). The computer itself was right when I used my tuner to check it. After trying a number of things including removing the needle and putting it on the proper spot, nothing worked. In the end I fixed it by simply pushing the needle into the correct spot with the motor running. Try it at your own risk, but it worked for me and has been fine since. I have no explanation.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ha. i just dealt with this. i actually called @Dane to ask what his fix was. customer came into our shop with an issue with the tach needle. what i found out is when you start the truck the needles all move to max to zero out. if the needles are not loose, then the servo motors are bad. unfortunately for our customer it was the motor. we had to order a new guage cluster. it was about $1000 but then you got $300 back as a core return.

OP
OP
S

Sam C

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights and advice, I'm going for the "push with the engine running", have already removed the needles and repositioned. Prepared for failure, is a replacement inst. cluster a Ford OEM only part?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights and advice, I'm going for the "push with the engine running", have already removed the needles and repositioned. Prepared for failure, is a replacement inst. cluster a Ford OEM only part?
i believe so. when i called in for a replacement, they wanted the vin and mileage and verified our shop

OP
OP
S

Sam C

Reaction score
Dane, your system worked! I have all the upper gauges properly aligned. Now when they "settle" each time they rest a little more to the low side.....seems possessed.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dane, your system worked! I have all the upper gauges properly aligned. Now when they "settle" each time they rest a little more to the low side.....seems possessed.
My system of "I'm out of ideas, let's try this". I'm glad it worked for you. A phrase I use often is "It ain't stupid if it works." It's been a few years since I had to fix mine - so far so good.

OP
OP
S

Sam C

Reaction score
Update: Now that I have the gauge cluster accessible I'm shipping off to usSpeedo for new face, needles, rebuild and LEDs. All in on this one.....