Gen-1 Front Control arm bushing questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey Pants

Reaction score
Hello-
2013 Raptor SCAB. 95k

my front control arm bushings are going along with my front ball joints.
I want to keep it all original.

My plan was to buy oem front control arms because I was told you need to replace the entire control arm if the bushings are bad; you can't just replace the bushings. Is this true?
My plan was to also replace the upper control arms while I'm in there.
My front and rear shocks are new.
If it isn't true, please let me know where to get just the bushings.
Any other advice? I'm seeing around $650 per new lower control arm and around $180 for oem uppers.
thanks for your help and input.
John in Utah

20201225_105448.jpg

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 70k miles on my gen 1 super interested in these answers. Replacing shocks now and sway bar end links. What symptoms were you feeling so I can be on the look out etc?

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what youre looking for are the MOOG K200366 bushings. Yes you can replace them, and yes, they are a total bitch. You have to cut out the old center and slowly slice into the outer body of the bushing without damaging the control arm. It is doable, but it takes time. To press back in, i simply pressed em in with no issues except needing a press to get them all the way in. They are directional so remember the way they came out. On the plus side, all you have to do is jack your truck up, pull the wheel, and you can remove the lower control arm with everything still in place so that takes 3 hours off the job. This job is def rated R for what will be coming out of your mouth.

OP
OP
Joey Pants

Joey Pants

Reaction score
COWPOKE: My symptoms are there is a lot of movement when I hit a bump coming from the front. Even after replacing shocks, I feel without solid bracing in the control arms the shocks can't take the force, the whole front end takes the force.
TlToronto: thank you for your help. my buddy michael has a press but if you don't remove the control arm completely, there is now way to bring it to the press so what did you use to press them in?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, beautiful Gen 1 Raptor, good luck with the front end. Should just get new upper control arms and repair the lowers.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you mid perch the truck or put aftermarket springs on the front end? You have to pull the control arms off to get them in, sorry must have been lost in my Canadiana, you just dont have to pull the entire front end apart, the lower balljoint will clear between the cv and the spindle with a little movement from the joint. I used a press to get them back in, and just pressed on the entire side of the bushing, rubber did fine. The outer body of it is too weak to press against that, the flange just bends. maybe a little freezing can help get it in easier? Never tried it that way. I also replaced mine at 120,000 miles, they were fine until then and I saw them begin to fail. It sounds like the shocks may need some nitrogen. were they just rebuilt or are they brand new

OP
OP
Joey Pants

Joey Pants

Reaction score
They were just rebuilt. The shop said ball joints were nearly done and c/a bushings need replacing. When they rebuilt they put on mid perch. Its strange, these are notorious for going out around 100k but I haven't found much on the forums...so I'm thinking what am I missing...are people just riding around with no c/a bushings...:)

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were just rebuilt. The shop said ball joints were nearly done and c/a bushings need replacing. When they rebuilt they put on mid perch. Its strange, these are notorious for going out around 100k but I haven't found much on the forums...so I'm thinking what am I missing...are people just riding around with no c/a bushings...:)

yeah, they neglect to realize they are the same bushings the stock vehicles use but have more travel, so they wear out faster from the higher range of cycles. Personally im surprised no one has made a heim upgrade for em but what do I know. Ball joints will cause that worn out feeling as well. When all replaced, it does make a big difference I will admit that

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most any mechanic will press the old bushings out and the new bushings in for a nominal fee...I paid a shop down the street something like $30 or $40 per arm for all new bushings to be pressed in and out which was well worth it when considering the hours it would’ve taken me to try to do it with a ****** autozone press. I wouldnt spend $180 per upper arm. When I did my Camburg upper arms I just gave my stock uppers away and they were in great shape...I’d find some used that have good bushings and ball joints

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a whole thread discussing it.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/chasing-that-frt-end-clunk.67333/

I bought parts to replace mine, but it's been long enough I forgot what I bought. Full upper arms, lower BJs, sway bar links, and I think that's it. I'll gladly pay a few extra bucks for loaded upper arms off Rockauto rather than deal with pressing bushings in and out, MOOG UCAs were $60.

There's some good info in that thread, but I believe most people said the lower arms are rarely an issue, but the lower shock bolt torque is.