Gen 1 Front Camera Stopped Working After Rear Camera Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dalejrthecat

Reaction score
I had the rear camera go out on my 2012 gen 1. I got the error message saying the camera wasn’t working see dealer. I noticed that the front camera then became disabled all the time, even in low or 2wd locked and off road mode.

I replaced the rear camera with an aftermarket camera from TRQ. Now the rear works fine, I even have zoom and the guide lines just like OEM. The front camera will not function correctly though. If I’m in the proper mode it will come on for about 5 seconds then automatically disable. The truck definitely registers that the mode is correct, because if I’m in 2wd and nothing else the camera will not come on at all.

Anyone ever run into this? I’m wondering if it is due to the rear camera being aftermarket? It’s strange the front camera acts exactly the same with a broken oem camera or working aftermarket.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s possible that the aftermarket camera is causing the issue, as it needs to communicate with the BCM over a private network. It’s also possible that the issue is caused by the camera not being configured; per the Workshop Manual, the camera configuration procedure needs to be performed after camera replacement. Not sure if ForScan has that capability.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s possible that the aftermarket camera is causing the issue, as it needs to communicate with the BCM over a private network. It’s also possible that the issue is caused by the camera not being configured; per the Workshop Manual, the camera configuration procedure needs to be performed after camera replacement. Not sure if ForScan has that capability.
Do you happen to have the details on this configuration? My front camera doesn't work either. I did replace my rear camera some time ago, and it's possible that's when I my front camera stopped working - but I'm really not sure.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you happen to have the details on this configuration? My front camera doesn't work either. I did replace my rear camera some time ago, and it's possible that's when I my front camera stopped working - but I'm really not sure.
It’s a calibration/configuration function through Ford IDS. Some high level aftermarket scan tools may be able to do it as well, but it’s a case by case basis as to whether they have that capability.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s a calibration/configuration function through Ford IDS. Some high level aftermarket scan tools may be able to do it as well, but it’s a case by case basis as to whether they have that capability.
So, I still have my old camera that had issues. In theory it should still "work" since I haven't done the above? Would it be a good troubleshooting step to throw the crappy one back in and see if the front works?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the system should still be configured to work with the old camera. So if the old one works, the new one probably just needs to be calibrated.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the system should still be configured to work with the old camera. So if the old one works, the new one probably just needs to be calibrated.
Spoke too soon. Can't find the old camera. Maybe I chucked it. Damnit. I also noticed that while my rear camera works fine, the zoom feature does not. I can hit zoom, it takes me to the zoom options, but if I click any of them nothing happens. Does this also sound like a symptom of the lack of a calibration/fancy computer magic? I do have guidelines. I don't care about zoom, but I'm just troubleshooting.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Spoke too soon. Can't find the old camera. Maybe I chucked it. Damnit. I also noticed that while my rear camera works fine, the zoom feature does not. I can hit zoom, it takes me to the zoom options, but if I click any of them nothing happens. Does this also sound like a symptom of the lack of a calibration/fancy computer magic? I do have guidelines. I don't care about zoom, but I'm just troubleshooting.
Yep if it’s not calibrated some of the functions will be inoperative, including zoom.