Gen 1 driver seat heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandfreak520

Reaction score
Hey guys I have noticed over the last 4-6 months my driver seat heater has been working less and less and or taking FOREVER to get even a little warm ish.....? I’m looking for any advice to begin to troubleshoot other then checking connections etc....? Thanks in advance winter is coming an I like a toasty butt don’t judge

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Normally the bottom seat element just shorts out, you can tell when you push the button and it stays lit for half a second and goes out. I wonder if yours is almost gone. If you are half competent and mechanically inclined, its an easy job to change out. The element is super cheap as well, at your Ford dealer.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dag, I just read Ben’s repair post and I pray to God my seat heaters don’t ever fail.
It's actually not that bad to do, I did my own, with it in the truck, scabs are easier to do as the seat belts aren't in the way. If you have a lot of mileage then you should change the foam as Ben mentioned, which is more involved.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dag, I just read Ben’s repair post and I pray to God my seat heaters don’t ever fail.

I'm going to have to review my write up, it is an easy enough job. Didn't mean to make it seem intimidating.

Seat foam is easy, once you have the covers off it just pops out. Don't let that slow you down.

Last edited:

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have noticed over the last 4-6 months my driver seat heater has been working less and less and or taking FOREVER to get even a little warm ish.....? I’m looking for any advice to begin to troubleshoot other then checking connections etc....? Thanks in advance winter is coming an I like a toasty butt don’t judge

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/posts/818476/

I just done my 2nd one on drivers seat, and used zip ties in place of hog rings, a lot easier

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Zip ties are awesome and all but I wouldn't recommend them for that application. Its constant high stress/fatigue situation, they will last a while but I wouldn't consider them an appropriate replacement. Hog rings are perfect for this (that's why upholsterers use them) and even if they are stressed they just bend rather than failing. And when the zip ties do fail its going to make your covers loose, which is going to cause your foam and all the velcro attached to it to fail.

Why do it halfway? its an $11 tool and 15 cents worth of hog rings.

Last edited: