Gen 1 Deadspot/Falling on its face under heavy acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirkw

Reaction score
Had a Volvo that did the same thing. Turned out the cat had partially disintegrated and clogging so that it would function normally under light engine load, but would drag under hard acceleration. Was like I was depressing the brakes and accelerator at the same time. Idle, light operation was normal. No engine codes either.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I did a search on this, and haven’t came up with much. My 21012 screw has 114k on it and I changed the plugs at 90k. When I get on the freeway or accelerate hard, it’s almost a complete flat spot where the truck isn’t wanting to get up and go but the engine sure sounds like it is. Sometime it will suddenly snap out of it and I can feel a sudden acceleration.

I have unplugged the battery for a while in hopes to reset the computer and that didn’t help. I did the plugs as mentioned above, but not the wires. Any other idea what may be causing this or has anyone else experienced this?

Been having same problem,2014 Whipple SC with 58K so would love to know if you find the problem...Mine doesnt do it all the time,and if I accelerate steady it usually doesnt happen..only when I nail it...will start to get up and go,then feels like something is holding it back,and then it launches like a bat out of hell,
My way of getting around it is try and drive like a normal person and dont be nailing it all the time...;)

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There isn't any fuel filter, only a mesh sock around the fuel pump in the fuel pump housing in the gas tank.

But checking fuse #27 is a good idea.

MattHamby598

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the fuel pump fuse in the fuse block in the engine compartment. Pull it all of the way out to inspect, they’re notorious for melting.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been having same problem,2014 Whipple SC with 58K so would love to know if you find the problem...Mine doesnt do it all the time,and if I accelerate steady it usually doesnt happen..only when I nail it...will start to get up and go,then feels like something is holding it back,and then it launches like a bat out of hell,
My way of getting around it is try and drive like a normal person and dont be nailing it all the time...;)
That’s exactly what mine does. Sometimes, it drives great and pulls hard. Other times, it’s like there’s a four cylinder under the hood. I’ve checked the fuse for the fuel pump and also unplugged the gas pedal for a while. Still hoping for answers.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can make it repeatable (or even if not) datalog your trucks and capture it when the issue occurs. You should be able to easily pinpoint what the issue is. How to fix it is a different story, but a log of all the critical PIDs will likely show the problem.

You want a log of time, speed, RPMs, Spark, spark retard, load, fuel pump duty cycle, fuel pump voltage, MAF counts and MAF voltage, etc. If it's falling on it's face, something in there should be a red flag pointing you in a particular direction.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if it could be this... But I wonder if the Ford traction/stability control sensors start to go bad and intervene and start to add brake/ABS.

I have not heard of this as a FORD issue yet, but just thinking about the way you have described the feel.

Back in the day, I had a built Trailblazer SS (AWD LS2) that we could not eliminate the GM Torque Management parameter from the ECU. Back then the ****** trans would start to overheat with anything north of 400hp, so instead of fixing the trans, GM used TM to limit the fuel/timing (kill HP) to make the trans live.

Just curious if wheel speed sensor or trans slip pulls power form your truck.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The traction control light should come on if it's kicking in.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's more likely the anti roll is kicking in and not the tires breaking loose.
With the extra G force on Supercharged Raptors it can be quite easy to hit the threshold, especially if your not driving in a straight line.

Anti-roll is another nanny Ford throw on and it's different from stability and traction control.

Last edited: