Geiser Spring Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much you have to compress a Geiser spring in order to install it on a stock shock at mid perch? I built a fixture to compress our springs on a 20 ton press but i only have 4in of travel so I'd hate to pull my shocks just to realize i can't get the springs off. I guess worst case is i rent some spring compressors from autozone just to compress them the first few inches and use the press to go the remaining distance. Seems like 4in should be enough but i can't remember how much i needed to compress them the first time.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much you have to compress a Geiser spring in order to install it on a stock shock at mid perch? I built a fixture to compress our springs on a 20 ton press but i only have 4in of travel so I'd hate to pull my shocks just to realize i can't get the springs off. I guess worst case is i rent some spring compressors from autozone just to compress them the first few inches and use the press to go the remaining distance. Seems like 4in should be enough but i can't remember how much i needed to compress them the first time.
You’ll probably be close, but I’d say 4” is too short.

Here is when I put them on bottom perch. Note this was back when I was a touch more cautious with the spring compressors lol.

4E9786C8-1A4E-4D01-A5B9-1ED049FD4B04.jpeg
4B02F437-E9CE-44F2-812D-ED37E20CFC54.jpeg

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. It might be close then. I might have to figure something else out Were you able to get them on with just those spring compressors? When i did it the first time i was able to use a branick compressor and it took everything i had to get them compressed enough Figured a press would be easier but I’m limited on travel. But if i can compress it, then hold it with the scary compressor, then reset the press i might be able to do it. Just trying to be able to do this in my garage and potentially be able to do it on the trail if i decide to try tuning

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm. It might be close then. I might have to figure something else out Were you able to get them on with just those spring compressors? When i did it the first time i was able to use a branick compressor and it took everything i had to get them compressed enough Figured a press would be easier but I’m limited on travel. But if i can compress it, then hold it with the scary compressor, then reset the press i might be able to do it. Just trying to be able to do this in my garage and potentially be able to do it on the trail if i decide to try tuning
Yea those spring compressors were fine. I used 3 or 4 and they are the correct size for the springs. I even use them on my king 3.0’s now. Don’t eat me wrong though, a wall mount or stand mounted style is in my future. Probably when I go to rebuild them.

Do you plan on jumping your truck a lot?

I had the top hat on my shock fail with the geiser’s and bottom perch. I can’t remember if it was a new oem or a new replacement top hat. Caused some damage to my icon UCA.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can rent the heavy duty spring compressors from autozone. its a free rental. i bought a set from them. was $200 or so. i change springs and mess with the shocks too much to be running back and forth to the parts store all the time. kit 91. all the other autoparts store had the tiny ones where you are praying they dont break.IMG_20230227_104839.jpgIMG_20230227_104856.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
also, i lost your number when i got a new phone. text me again sometime. you know.... to tell me you are coming to nevada in april.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea those spring compressors were fine. I used 3 or 4 and they are the correct size for the springs. I even use them on my king 3.0’s now. Don’t eat me wrong though, a wall mount or stand mounted style is in my future. Probably when I go to rebuild them.

Do you plan on jumping your truck a lot?

I had the top hat on my shock fail with the geiser’s and bottom perch. I can’t remember if it was a new oem or a new replacement top hat. Caused some damage to my icon UCA.
I don't plan on jumping my truck. Its mainly used on logging roads up here in Wa. I've had Geisers on mid perch for a few years now and as far as i can tell, no issues with the hat, but i guess i'll see when i pull it. I did order new shaft bumps and the rubber isolator inside the hat. I bought a used set of fronts for super cheap so i'm doing my first rebuild, but trying to be able to do 100% of the work myself.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can rent the heavy duty spring compressors from autozone. its a free rental. i bought a set from them. was $200 or so. i change springs and mess with the shocks too much to be running back and forth to the parts store all the time. kit 91. all the other autoparts store had the tiny ones where you are praying they dont break.View attachment 395624View attachment 395625
good to know. i'll grab one of those before i pull my shocks. There are a few Branick compressors for sale around here for 400-500 bucks so maybe if i start rebuilding or start tuning mine i'll pick one up. whats one more big tool to clutter up the garage.

The Nevada trip is very tempting and my birthday is the 22nd. its just such a far drive for me. you should do the Backcountry Discovery Route sometime and cruise through Wa.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
good to know. i'll grab one of those before i pull my shocks. There are a few Branick compressors for sale around here for 400-500 bucks so maybe if i start rebuilding or start tuning mine i'll pick one up. whats one more big tool to clutter up the garage.

The Nevada trip is very tempting and my birthday is the 22nd. its just such a far drive for me. you should do the Backcountry Discovery Route sometime and cruise through Wa.
shit. my daughter is coming and she is in seattle. no excuses. lets see those shocks and springs in action. im in colorado now so its 16hrs to nevada. wa is a bit further.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll be sure to video the the spring removal. I have a big heavy fiberglass welding blanket I’m going to throw over the whole thing on the first attempt. Hopefully that will contain any shrapnel