Gear Recomendation Discussion for 37s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Palerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this thread deserves a bump. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of going to 37s and I think it's high time I regeared. Currently running Kooks LTs and Y-pipe with cats, Black Widow Race Venom muffler turned down before axle, Injen intake, nGauge tuner on a 93 performance with Juggernaut Power doing the tuning and I still think it's a bit slow off the line. I was thinking about 4.56s but after reading through this thread several times I've bumped up to 4.88s or even 5.13s since I'll soon have a secondary vehicle to take up the commuting duties. Just how big of a hit in the MPG department would I take going with the 5.13s? I already dropped from 13.9 down to 10.5 after I went to the 37s.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 4:88's in my Roush charged Raptor and with my driving style being about halfway aggressive, I run right around 10mpg with 37's. If I stay in it getting off the line all the time, I have reduced that to 9mpg. But I can also drive like I am driving miss daisy and get right at 12mpg. So depending on driving style, with 5:13's, I would think you would be somewhere between 8-10mpg average.

I am an authorized dealer for Yukon gear, let me know if I can help with a quote on a full package at a discount when you're ready.

Palerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 4:88's in my Roush charged Raptor and with my driving style being about halfway aggressive, I run right around 10mpg with 37's. If I stay in it getting off the line all the time, I have reduced that to 9mpg. But I can also drive like I am driving miss daisy and get right at 12mpg. So depending on driving style, with 5:13's, I would think you would be somewhere between 8-10mpg average.

I am an authorized dealer for Yukon gear, let me know if I can help with a quote on a full package at a discount when you're ready.
Slow down there, Chris. I haven't even installed the R1 package yet. With the secondary vehicle taking the major load of highway miles I travel I could probably stand the 5.13s. But I also tow small trailers, ATVs and such. And will be adding a SxS to the mix soon so the fuel economy will take a big hit when towing. There's also the dilemma ofwho's going to do the install. I can do most anything if shown how but I don't really trust myself with this sort of install. But if you want to you can email me a quote. If it's not too much trouble send me one for the 4.88s and one for 5.13s. I'll send you a pm on Facebook so you'll have my email address.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries. I will say this about towing. I tow a 34ft 9400 lb camper with mine as it sits and it doesn't even struggle and mileage while towing that is around 8-9mpg traveling at 65mph on the interstate through the rolling mountains of Virginia. The load distribution hitch is a must obviously, but the sway and traction control in the truck work flawlessly tohelp keep things under control when the trailer does begin to sway a little. I'll send a quote tomorrow and when you are ready we can go from there. But yeah, you don't really want to DIY the gears, too much can go wrong. You REALLY want to check out the shops you have to choose from so that you are confident that they are truly qualified to do the install. I have seen shops that claim they can do it wind up ******** it up royally.

Palerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. I will say this about towing. I tow a 34ft 9400 lb camper with mine as it sits and it doesn't even struggle and mileage while towing that is around 8-9mpg traveling at 65mph on the interstate through the rolling mountains of Virginia. The load distribution hitch is a must obviously, but the sway and traction control in the truck work flawlessly tohelp keep things under control when the trailer does begin to sway a little. I'll send a quote tomorrow and when you are ready we can go from there. But yeah, you don't really want to DIY the gears, too much can go wrong. You REALLY want to check out the shops you have to choose from so that you are confident that they are truly qualified to do the install. I have seen shops that claim they can do it wind up ******** it up royally.
That was my number one concern about having someone else do it. If at all possible I like doing the work myself but like you said this will take a qualified professional. I'm going to do my homework on the shop options I have for certain.

chipw

Reaction score
anyone know of a shop around Chattanooga Tennessee that can do a gear swap? thanks