Gear lights disappeared

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just noticed that the lights to the right of the tachometer which show what gear I am in have gone away. I am not sure if I turned them off or if something is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just noticed that the lights to the right of the tachometer which show what gear I am in have gone away. I am not sure if I turned them off or if something is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

Press the + paddle, or the + on the manual shift on the gear selector.

OP
OP
Quaesta

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are there when I am in Manual just not when in Drive.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
derail is right. The 1-10 indicator embedded within the dash goes away when you toggle the paddles or gear shifter to use the gear lockout feature when the transmission is in automatic mode.

^^^^
This is some kind of bug, but affects the model line (F150’s) not just the Rap.
Probably an easter egg some engineer left in to see how many electrons would be slain discussing it...

In manual mode you get a different gear indicator.

jocdmd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the OP was talking about the gear lights next to the gear shifter. In the Gen 1 the gears are illuminated with a little red indicator showing what gear is selected, but in the Gen 2 they area not illuminated. strange.

spg993tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

even when in automatic mode , if you click the right/upshift paddle it toggles the lightson and off.
and if you click the left paddle, i think that one by one lowers the trans lock gear #. it hink. when you click that left paddle the 10light goes out, then the 9, then the 8 and one by one the lights go out, which i think is showing you the gears you have available and the ones that are not lit up are 'locked out'.i think.

OP
OP
Quaesta

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Pressing the shift up while in Drive fixed it. That was driving me crazy. Thanks for the help.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the OP was talking about the gear lights next to the gear shifter. In the Gen 1 the gears are illuminated with a little red indicator showing what gear is selected, but in the Gen 2 they area not illuminated. strange.

This is covered in another thread extensively. It is not a Gen 1 / Gen 2 thing, but rather a trim level and date of production thing. Some Gen 2's have/had this illumination as well, and up to a certain date it appears to have been tied to trim levels or options, some trim levels/option combinations had it and others did not. The last I checked the thread it was beginning to look like Ford dropped this feature entirely sometime during the 2018 Gen 2 year, probably for ease of production.

T!

OP
OP
Quaesta

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is covered in another thread extensively. It is not a Gen 1 / Gen 2 thing, but rather a trim level and date of production thing. Some Gen 2's have/had this illumination as well, and up to a certain date it appears to have been tied to trim levels or options, some trim levels/option combinations had it and others did not. The last I checked the thread it was beginning to look like Ford dropped this feature entirely sometime during the 2018 Gen 2 year, probably for ease of production.

T!

You are talking about a different issue. We are talking about the gear indicator on the tachometer not the ones next to the gear shifter.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are talking about a different issue. We are talking about the gear indicator on the tachometer not the ones next to the gear shifter.

Yes, look at the quote I included in my post. I was quoting, and responding to, jocmdm, and he was talking about the other issue, the lights beside the shift lever on the console. As I said in my response, that particular issue has been covered in other threads extensively.

T!