Gear hang/hard shift on very low speed (sport mode) (gen 3)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moetor

Reaction score
Hello everyone

So my truck has around 3700 miles
I’ve been noticing a weird hard downshift (a clunk) especially between 3rd and 2nd gear, it occurs only on down shifts at very low speeds usually at less than 5 miles/hour (when rpm is less than 1.5 on 3rd gear).
It only occurred in sport mode.
It seems fine when down shifting at higher rpms.
It happens when on D and on M.

Any clue of what the issue might be?

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I experienced the exact same every now n then. I believe many other f150 owners have too. The programming on the 10R80 is ***** from Ford. A nice warranty voiding tune will fix it tho. My trans is currently being replaced at 5k miles for stripping 4th gear.... Happy Friday!

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a slight clunk/jerk when truck is downshifting in the normal mode just before stopping but does it randomly. I have 450 miles on the truck

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing shifting from 3-2 at low speeds (normal mode), can be quite rough. Might try a TCM reset.

Last edited:

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goosetunes TCM tune will fox that right up, but your warranty will be gone technically :/. I’ve heard some dealers will still honor it only with his tunes but never had a local dealer near me accept that. To be honest though, I had a 2021 f150, 2022 f150, and now a 22 raptor, and they ALL shift the same. Sporadic, funky, and often laggy lol but I care about warranty to much to tune so I’ll just have fun with it as it is.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does as well. Not really in sport though. Normal mode. God I hate the software on this transmission

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goosetunes TCM tune will fox that right up, but your warranty will be gone technically :/. I’ve heard some dealers will still honor it only with his tunes but never had a local dealer near me accept that. To be honest though, I had a 2021 f150, 2022 f150, and now a 22 raptor, and they ALL shift the same. Sporadic, funky, and often laggy lol but I care about warranty to much to tune so I’ll just have fun with it as it is.
That's my thinking as well, would love a Goosetune, but with the 10R80 having this as such a common theme, I'd hate to blow up a transmission and be out of warranty.

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my thinking as well, would love a Goosetune, but with the 10R80 having this as such a common theme, I'd hate to blow up a transmission and be out of warranty.
Yup. It’s a double edged sword. But I prefer to stay on the side of caution even though Winfield at goose tunes is awesome and rad dude, I just rather have the warranty for my minds sake lol.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How the Banks pedal monster work out for ya Sir?