Gauge Mode: Trans Temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last summer in the 105 (pavement was 140 per my laser) heat in stop and go traffic mine hit 211. Most of the time runs 180 to 195 on the highway during extended operation.

Saturday I put in a new tranny pan that holds 3 more quarts and is finned, also flushed out the Ford fluid with Amsoil (total 16.5 qts with new pan). Did the trans case as well but that takes the regular Amsoil tranny fluid because it is not a LV type fluid. The new fluid is running pretty close to the same temps maybe a little cooler but not much. Have for 3 days used the same stretch of highway coming and going for six runs total (5 mile stretch) and at 57 mph my lie-o-meter has given me an average of .8 MPG gain over the Ford factory fill.

When the truck is cold it shifts faster in the first few gears as well when I first start out. Bottom line is keep the fluid cool and you will have very few if any tranny problems. Learned this the hard way with high hp oil burners that used 3 and 5 disk TQ’s years ago..

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2012 looks like it has the bracket built in for a bigger transmission cooler in front of the condenser. The one it came with looks like it is 4-5" tall but maybe one that is 10"-12" would fit.

Also wondering if anyone makes a kit to get rid of the bypass on the transmission. This was a common mod with the PSD community and the 4R100.

Blukrom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does strange things. Some times I will drive to work and it will never get above 130. Other times I do the same drive with the same type of weather and it's at 195. I have also noticed that the idiot stick reads the same at both those temps???? WTF??

OP
OP
debate

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have hit over 260f on the transmission. How? 100mph+ in 4WD in the desert. I have an aftermarket cooler now. Anything over 240 is not a good thing.

Details on the aftermarket cooler?

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Last summer in the 105 (pavement was 140 per my laser) heat in stop and go traffic mine hit 211.

What make and model is your laser?

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

220+ a few times... I fear a long pass in 4wd and my lead foot will up that ante though

Are both cooling fans working good?

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Easy to fab yourself---did it in my last truck (09 Chevy 6.2). Use the good copper line B&M cooler with thermostat and fab some brackets and paint black and mount where the factory cooler is. Or like I did on my Cummins before that---mounted it in a space near the spare tire between the supports for the bed. That one had a switch that I could turn off or on but just the added cooling of the B&M kept the temps in the acceptable range. This way when I was playing spooling up the big Aurora turbo the temps went up pretty fast and this helped keep the tranny cooler as well as less heat load on the radiator.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but is it normal in the winter months to simply not be able to get the temperature of the tranny up?

Its been -5 to 10F the last week or so, and even after my 20 mile trip to work, its still only 145-150F.