Gas Tank Reserve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorRnr

Reaction score
I recall seeing somewhere, although I can't find a reference to it, that there used to be a requirement for 10% reserve for tanks after they hit empty or zero miles to empty. That would translate to 3.6 gallons on the SCREW. Based on driving habits you could potentially go another 45 miles. If you're driving on any sort of grade it may vary. It's also not good to run a turbo to completely empty.

Stevdug

Reaction score
There is no single answer to this as the computer calculates it based on your projected mpg. I've driven more than 10 miles with it telling me 0 miles until empty and was never able to put more than 34.5 gal in. I also had one instance that I was at 0 miles until empty and put 3 gallons in since I was in a rush and the computer never adjusted and it stayed at 0 miles until empty until I filled it up about 30miles of driving later.
Yes like this. My experience is the same as above. Today was at 5 miles to empty, so I put in a gallon at the house , 5 to empty did not change after adding gas and I hit 0 before I got to the gas station, where the truck took just over 32 gallons to fill

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For your information: the fuel also cools the pump. If you regularly run your tank low your pump life will be greatly reduced. Cost to replace a pump?? (Only happens when your tank is full.....)

Reaction score
I regularly run mine past zero miles to go…I know that’s bad, just how I do things. I ran my previous F150 out of gas only once when I was doing 85 down I-10. Outside of that, I have gone probably 30 miles after it says I’m at zero. I averaged close to 19 miles to the gallon on that truck so I’m pretty sure it’s around 2 gallons remaining when it says 0 on the range.

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I regularly run mine past zero miles to go…I know that’s bad, just how I do things. I ran my previous F150 out of gas only once when I was doing 85 down I-10. Outside of that, I have gone probably 30 miles after it says I’m at zero. I averaged close to 19 miles to the gallon on that truck so I’m pretty sure it’s around 2 gallons remaining when it says 0 on the range.
2 gallons is really close when it says zero miles to empty.
Only way to truely know is when it hits zero miles to E keep driving to see how far it will go. Just have can of gas along so soon as it’s felt running out add gas.

On mine at time i tested was getting near 25 mpg and it went 60 mi after saying zero mi left. With a aux tank i just flipped switch to add more fuel.

The amount of fuel remaining after it says Zero miles to e can also be adjusted.

I also found float in filler at tank so when bottom of float sees fuel it quits filling. But a bit of fuel at a time will allow the springed filler to drop allowing 1-3 gallons extra.