Gas Tank Reserve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked but couldn’t find a definitive answer…. When The gas light is on does anybody know the amount of gallons left in the reserve?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I looked but couldn’t find a definitive answer…. When The gas light is on does anybody know the amount of gallons left in the reserve?
Depends on whether you're on a hill and in which direction it slopes. That's a long-ašš fuel tank and the pump will suck air when the gas runs to one end. I never let mine get below a quarter unless I'm out in the boonies to reduce wear and tear on the fuel pump. Sucking air is really hard on them.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI we don’t have reserve tanks in f150’s. We have one tank which holds 36 gallons. When you use 36 gallons your motor stops running due to no fuel. The tank may have a low spot to have easy access when the fuel is low but that’s it.

If your real question is, “how many miles/gallons when the fuel light comes on. Well that is a question which is not easy to answer. Why? Because the 50 miles till empty is based on the “computer guesstimate” based on truck usage. I was towing my TT and dropped it off in storage, light came on, stopped at shell and put in 29 gallons. I was driving to Nebraska with the family and was doing 70 mph on the highway, based on lunch/fuel/location the light popped about 5 miles before the exit. Filled up with 32ish gallons.

So the light is based on mileage from computer calculations and not some extra reserve location.

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no single answer to this as the computer calculates it based on your projected mpg. I've driven more than 10 miles with it telling me 0 miles until empty and was never able to put more than 34.5 gal in. I also had one instance that I was at 0 miles until empty and put 3 gallons in since I was in a rush and the computer never adjusted and it stayed at 0 miles until empty until I filled it up about 30miles of driving later.