Gas Tank Reserve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alphax

Reaction score
There is no single answer to this as the computer calculates it based on your projected mpg. I've driven more than 10 miles with it telling me 0 miles until empty and was never able to put more than 34.5 gal in. I also had one instance that I was at 0 miles until empty and put 3 gallons in since I was in a rush and the computer never adjusted and it stayed at 0 miles until empty until I filled it up about 30miles of driving later.

Is it that harmful to drive when the light turns on? I’ve driven my truck down to the 5 miles left until empty many many times.

And when I refill the tank, it would only max out to about 34 gallons. Which tells me there’s about 2 gallons left.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it that harmful to drive when the light turns on?
The issue is the fuel pump sucking air. I remember a member posting in the gen 2 forum about a change in policy at his workplace. Workers were running the trucks as close to empty as possible and they were replacing a lot of fuel pumps. Policy change to fill at a quarter tank and the problem went away. Now I fill at a quarter unless I'm far from a gas stations for some reason, generally a backcountry trip. If you want to track it to the source, a good idea given my memory, it was in a thread about trucks not starting when parked on a hill. Turned out to be fuel running to the end of that long-ass tank.

alphax

Reaction score
The issue is the fuel pump sucking air. I remember a member posting in the gen 2 forum about a change in policy at his workplace. Workers were running the trucks as close to empty as possible and they were replacing a lot of fuel pumps. Policy change to fill at a quarter tank and the problem went away. Now I fill at a quarter unless I'm far from a gas stations for some reason, generally a backcountry trip. If you want to track it to the source, a good idea given my memory, it was in a thread about trucks not starting when parked on a hill. Turned out to be fuel running to the end of that long-ass tank.

I forgot where I read it, but I read that Ford’s fuel pumps especially our trucks are always sitting in a large surge cup, so that even when the light turns on, it’s still in fuel and doesn’t over heat.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The calculations the computer makes for DTE are based on the previous tank of gas so some common sense is needed to determine if it is accurate or not. Towing, not towing, city, highway, flat, hills, get my drift. What is constant is when the low fuel light comes on, aprox 3 gallons of fuel left. So if you are averaging 20 mpg that equals 60 miles, if your average is 10 mpg that does not equal 60 miles. The gas calculations are very accurate once you understand how it works. I have run my Raptor to 10 miles to empty on several occasions but it is not recommended. Fuel is what cools the fuel pump so more is gooder.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score

Ha yeah my last truck was close to e and not thinking i backed into my driveway. Well i started it and had to run back inside just to find out it was off when i got back outside. The light was on and it was past E. Thankfully i knew it wasn’t empty so I coasted to the end of my driveway, started it and went on my way (gas station) lol. Never again will i back in on a low tank and i make sure its on at least 1/4 and no lower if possible…

Alohawaii

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I would chime in since I too usually run mine until light turns on & it says empty. I had to Google if we had a reserve tank.

Light on: 6 miles until empty & arrived at gas station.

Filled up exactly 30.435 gallons until nozzle clicked off.

Estimated range 400 miles on start up.

Something seems off.. did the nozzle clicked off early?

raptorzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I would chime in since I too usually run mine until light turns on & it says empty. I had to Google if we had a reserve tank.

Light on: 6 miles until empty & arrived at gas station.

Filled up exactly 30.435 gallons until nozzle clicked off.

Estimated range 400 miles on start up.

Something seems off.. did the nozzle clicked off early?
According to my calculations
U get 13 miles per gal

JURASIK18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my Gen 2 on a stretch between Baker Ca and Nv Stateline I reached 0 miles and drove 14 more miles n luckily made it . I have also ran out of gas on my steep-ish driveway with 30 miles till empty .I never park nose down now if the light is on.