Gas question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My raptor is a 2013 Roush SCREW and I've been advised not to run another below 91 octane and to not use any fuel additives. Last Memorial Day I ran low on gas in the truck and had used up all the twenty five gallons I brought as back up while camping out in the Nevada desert by Middlegate. The only near by gas was 87 octane so I quit driving around and just stayed in camp until it was time to go home. What would others have done and is there a safe way to use 87 octane?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My raptor is a 2013 Roush SCREW and I've been advised not to run another below 91 octane and to not use any fuel additives. Last Memorial Day I ran low on gas in the truck and had used up all the twenty five gallons I brought as back up while camping out in the Nevada desert by Middlegate. The only near by gas was 87 octane so I quit driving around and just stayed in camp until it was time to go home. What would others have done and is there a safe way to use 87 octane?
i have used 87 since 2013 when i bought my truck. truck was designed to use 87. you get max hp and tq when using 91but it specifically states 87 or higher. here in colorado theres 85. i think it has to do with the altitude, but i dont use it. still fill up with 87. there will no doubt be a discussion of 87vs91 gas mileage, engine knock, etc starting again with your question. :popcorn:

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question to ask Roush. They may have a different tune for 87. My 2013 will run on 87 but I always try to run 93.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Couple questions I would want to know first:
Are you on stock pulley with a Roush tune or are you on a JDM or 5 Star tune?
Have you changed the plugs to the colder heat range needed for a supercharged truck?
Which intercooler are you running.

From Roush these trucks come with way to much timing for forced air induction on anything less than 91. They are even more dangerously close to detonation because Roush does not take the time to go to a colder plug.

Can you run it... sure you can, but you need to stay out of the boost an no load on the engine.
My truck hated anything other than 93

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
It's not like you are putting water in the tank, running an occasional tank of 87 like when you were out of gas is going to doom your motor. Yes, best to run the 91 or higher but don't ruin a camping trip because you might need to run a few gallons of 87!

OP
OP
Blu Bug

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple questions I would want to know first:
Are you on stock pulley with a Roush tune or are you on a JDM or 5 Star tune?
Have you changed the plugs to the colder heat range needed for a supercharged truck?
Which intercooler are you running.

From Roush these trucks come with way to much timing for forced air induction on anything less than 91. They are even more dangerously close to detonation because Roush does not take the time to go to a colder plug.

Can you run it... sure you can, but you need to stay out of the boost an no load on the engine.
My truck hated anything other than 93
The truck sits as I bought it earlier this year in California so I assume only a stock tune. Using the movie Two Lane Blacktop as a reference point I’m much more a James Taylor than a Dennis Wilson. I thought about pulling a spark plug but gave up the idea after I looked at the engine so pulley sizes, inner coolers etc are a struggle for me. I’m in a catch 22, not talented enough to work on my truck and too broke to have it done. I have no business owning a Raptor but I do and I don’t plan on giving it up.

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are asking for trouble using anything less than 93/91 octane if your Roush is supercharged. If you were in a pickle and 87 was all that was available I would definitely stay out of boost.

Mark

OP
OP
Blu Bug

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are asking for trouble using anything less than 93/91 octane if your Roush is supercharged. If you were in a pickle and 87 was all that was available I would definitely stay out of boost.

Mark
Looks like I need more gas cans.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I was going anywhere that was likely to not have at least 91 octane available, I’d carry some octane booster such as Boostane. It’s a lot more space and weight efficient to use the octane booster mixed with available 87 octane pump gas than carrying gallons of 91+ octane fuel with you especially if it’s temporary.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
If I was going anywhere that was likely to not have at least 91 octane available, I’d carry some octane booster such as Boostane. It’s a lot more space and weight efficient to use the octane booster mixed with available 87 octane pump gas than carrying gallons of 91+ octane fuel with you especially if it’s temporary.
Yup. I carry some Sea Foam fuel treatment and some octane booster in the truck at all times.