Gas question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Smitty

Reaction score
The manual on my new (2019 Raptor) says it’s set up for 87 octane. Seems to me it should have premium any suggestions?

mattyz99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes 91 or higher octane to get the advertised 450 HP at the crank. My guess is that you'll lose 40 to 50 HP on 87 octane. I wouldn't quibble over $0.30 /gallon difference in price with a truck like this.
Agreed

MORaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes 91 or higher octane to get the advertised 450 HP at the crank. My guess is that you'll lose 40 to 50 HP on 87 octane. I wouldn't quibble over $0.30 /gallon difference in price with a truck like this.
As Terry noted, performance is better with 93 octane... your gas mileage is better too! I M not sure why anyone would spend Raptor money for a truck, then skimp on the gas. It is a great truck get out and enjoy it.

VolksDragon

Reaction score
Mine had a tank of 87 when I picked it up from the dealer, and the performance difference after I filled it up with 91 was very noticeable.

The extra few bucks a tank is totally worth it, I want this heavy bitch to hustle.

katchup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 87 one time, did a slight 1-3 pull getting on the freeway and my motor PING'd! Almost crapped my pants, thought I blew my motor. Never doing 87 again.