Gas mileage dropping, worried something mechanical.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cddawgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what could explain MPG dropping from 14.7 to 12.5. Its been gradual, I goose it occasionally but try to stay off the turbos, it's a daily, never sees dirt. Only had it new since august, 18. 5000 miles.

baptizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many oil changes have you done in that time-frame? How much city driving do you do vs. highway?

For comparison, I've had my '18 Raptor for just over two months and just turned over 6k miles (I have to use it for work in telecom). The optimistic computer shows 16.7 mpg and it has had two full-synthetic oil changes thus far @ 978 miles and 5.2k miles. I do have a lot of highway miles on it but it's doing pretty good considering I'm in NWPA with a lot of mountain roads.

OP
OP
cddawgs

cddawgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daily city. First oil change at 4975. Seldom go anywhere at all. Took possession 8/7/18. That oil change was last Monday. Mobil 10/W/30, synthetic.

OP
OP
cddawgs

cddawgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean I’m not concerned with gas costs as much as I’m scared something is going on. Last 3 fillups it was 14+ mpg, then 13+ mpg then yesterday 12+. Ballpark 2 weeks between cept last one. Dash mpg stays saying 14.7. But like, Math?

zhengyucoo

Reaction score
My raptor first year 2017 mpg was 15.5, second year is 15, this year 2019, it’s averaging at 14.2. Been doing oil changes every 5k.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my front wheel bearing was going out my mpg dropped noticeably. I was hearing the grinding of the bearing though. Maybe worth having the dealer inspect things and see if they notice any wear or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zhengyucoo

Reaction score
I'd blame it on "winter gas".
Does Georgia get Real Gas or the same ***** they sell us up north?

Some gas station my truck is showing range 550mi some is showing 470mi with full tank.

Btw when truck was new range was showing 600mi

I usually ended up with the one closest to my route.