Gas / Fuel Smell inside and out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjslat

Reaction score
This morning my entire garage smelled like fuel, I looked under all the vehicles and mowers and couldn't figure out where the smell came from. Truck was driven yesterday but it had been parked for at least 15 hours.

Drove a short distance this morning, few hours later I remote started in a parking lot for about 10 minutes, when I got inside the truck I was hit with a pretty strong fuel smell inside the truck.

Any ideas? Guessing a dealer visit, haven't seen any other posts with this issue.

housecat

Reaction score
Could be a fuel leak or fuel pump/regulator issue. Either way definitely get it checked out at the dealer... assuming you didn't just step in gas and get it on the floor mats.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want to check under the hood to see if you can see anything that doesn’t looks right. This would be something to definitely let the dealer check out.

Austin Elkins

Reaction score
Did you ever get this diagnosed? Starting experiencing this yesterday after pulling the trailer and pushing the truck to its limits. Now I get the smell when I drive normally. Gets pretty strong.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice on my 2013 F-150 if I top off the tank too much I get a strong smell of gas inside until I burn some off.
When you fill your tank "too much" the fuel goes into an overflow tube and then into a charcoal filter under the truck. The charcoal filter can actually get overloaded and start to put off gasoline vapors. (which are explosive). If you do this too often, you'll get a check engine light. The repair isn't cheap. It's best to fill the tank until the fuel nozzle shuts off and maybe again until it shuts off a second time, then stop.
I learned this the hard way, or better said, the expensive way.
Getting that extra gallon or two of gas always smelled good, but wasn't worth it. (yes, I still love the smell of gas)
200.gif

Last edited: