Garmin Tread Overland and Montana - Anyone using either and can offer thoughts on them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am starting to plan out some journeys into the wild and heeding @John M BUNMAN and other’s advice, am looking into mapping devices with inReach just in case. As my eyesight isn’t what it once was, I was Lookig to a larger format device than the Explorer+. A friend recommended either the Montana or Tread Overland from Garmin and both look pretty interesting and have the necessary built in InReach technology. They also appear to get good reviews particularly the Tread XL Overland for in vehicle use (seems way too cumbersome to pack it in though). Does anyone have any firsthand experience with either or both devices and could offer up your opinion on them?

One question that I have is the road, topographic map and trail coverage for Canada as that is one of the places we are planning to visit. Garmin talks about coverage of North America but then only talks about the incorporation of USGS and BLM data. Do these devices have coverage for our neighbors to the north or would I need to purchase coverage from somewhere like Backroads Mapbooks (if the electronic maps they offer would import into either device)?

Last edited:

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
For hiking the Garmin Explorer can be linked to your phone giving you the LARGER SCREEN. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I can’t see that little MFING screen anymore without taking out the readers …P I A :(

I only use the Garmin for checking in with the boss and SAR so they can find my body, Life Insurance is reluctant to pay if they can’t find the Body…:happy175::headbang::headbang:

I use the GAIA APP and my Benchmark Maps for Navigation and Route planning.
The GAIA APP has been my favorite for Navigation since its inception, for both 4x4 and 4x Foot.
The App is on your phone, so larger screen and then you connect it to your IPad and the NAV Screen on your Raptor. I use all three at the same time giving me 3 different zoom/perspectives.
I will attach the Navigation Threads if if haven’t seen them.

Merry Christmas, happy Adventuring, post lots of pics of your Adventures. Probably not as many as me, I sure I’m wearing folks out , documenting every 1/4 mile of my adventures :headbang::happy175:

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
DO NOT USE All Trails to Navigate. It’s a great App for finding hikes, but NOT TO NAVIGATE A ROUTE.
See my Near Disaster in the Desert thread. I’ve rescued several people trying to use it for Navigation.
The NPS SAR Ranger said the same thing.

OP
OP
khildebr

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I’ve been going through those threads prior to posting this one and there is a wealth of information in them. I appreciate your advice and that of the NPS concerning the use of All Trails for navigation. Message received and understood.

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Thanks! I’ve been going through those threads prior to posting this one and there is a wealth of information in them. I appreciate your advice and that of the NPS concerning the use of All Trails for navigation. Message received and understood.
If I can be of any help , pm me and I’ll shh
oot you my number. I’m no tech guy, school of hard knocks and dumb mistakes, but I taught Navigation for the Army about 100 yrs ago :(

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, a friend gave me the 650 or 750 Montana, it was very nice but I still preferred the App and the App had way more trails than the GARMIN Maps. GARMIN is outstanding, they always stand behind their product.

OP
OP
khildebr

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I can be of any help , pm me and I’ll shh
oot you my number. I’m no tech guy, school of hard knocks and dumb mistakes, but I taught Navigation for the Army about 100 yrs ago :(

I forgot to mention, a friend gave me the 650 or 750 Montana, it was very nice but I still preferred the App and the App had way more trails than the GARMIN Maps. GARMIN is outstanding, they always stand behind their product.
Must have gone to the same schools except for the Military service. :)

Appreciate the offer to talk through this and I’ll take you up on it after a little more research on my part. While my wife and I have some tech skills, we’d more accustomed to using a USGS Quad sheet or Gazetteer along with a compass to navigate around (past lives and old habits are hard to break). However, even though those will be dutifully packed in the truck, they've been outpaced by technology these days as long as you have signal and power.

I‘m a big fan of GARMIN’s products (even though I think that they aren’t giving as much love as they could to the Gazeetter after they bought DeLorme) and that was why I was looking at the two mentioned but if you found the app to have more information than the Montana, it’s time to look more at what the app brings to the table.