Garmin InReach Mounting Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The wife picked me up a Garmin InReach Explorer + for Christmas and I'm looking for an idea of where to mount it.

For those that don't know Garmin makes the InReach Explorer +, InReach Explorer SE, and InReach Mini. All (3) are satellite communicators and allow you to send and receive text messages when you're out of cell service. The + and SE models have a screen with maps (the + offers topo maps and the SE doesn't) and the Mini just offers text messages and uses a cell phone app. They also have a built-in SOS feature that will call Search & Rescue if SHTF and send your GPS coordinates.

I personally wanted one as sometimes I hike and camp alone, but I also backcountry snowboard and its a good safety net in the event of an avalanche. And of course, for Raptor owners, it's good for offroading out of cell service and in the event of a breakdown or wreck.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/c16841-p1.html

With that said I'm wondering for those of you that have these where have you mounted them and what mounts have you used?

I recently did the Built Right mod:

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/builtrite-mount-67-design-and-ram-mounts.64848/

And was thinking of mounting it on there, but I am not 100% sure as I want to add a GoPro Mount in the middle and the Garmin Overlander on the passenger side (have my phone mount on drivers side) So was thinking maybe on the driver's side A-Pillar.

Post up what you have done.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Put the go-pro up high with a stick on mount on the windshield, run a 12v to mini usb cable over to your overhead console to pick up power. put the mount between the driver’s sun shade and the shaded area of the windshield, as high up as you can for best view.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I did this for a while with the go pro mounts and didn’t like it. First, the perspective is not perfect, 2nd, now, I’d have an eyeful of the left XL80, 3rd, although stable, it would rotate over time and have to be readjusted because the handle isn’t perfectly shaped for this kind of mount, 4th I was knocking it once in a while when grabbing for the handle. I like it up higher much better.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this for a while with the go pro mounts and didn’t like it. First, the perspective is not perfect, 2nd, now, I’d have an eyeful of the left XL80, 3rd, although stable, it would rotate over time and have to be readjusted because the handle isn’t perfectly shaped for this kind of mount, 4th I was knocking it once in a while when grabbing for the handle. I like it up higher much better.

I dont want to put the GoPro on the grab handle I'm thinking of mounting that Garmin InReach there. I have the InReach with built in maps so ideally it would be nice to see the screen and mounting up by the review mirror would not work will for that.