Garage out of WiFi range - do I care?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a detached garage that's too far from the router in the house to pick up my home WiFi signal. Is there any reason I should make an effort to get it connected? Will the software update over whatever network they're using for FordPass? If not, do I really care about software updates so long as my truck runs well? Is there any other reason to do it? TIA

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently there’s a setting to check that allows WiFi updates, but I have WiFi in my garage and it doesn’t do anything. I haven’t done any research to determine why since these updates are rather large and prefer to check my downloads before installing. All of my updates are done via. USB.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've found wifi connectivity to be completely useless in both my Raptor and Escape with Sync 3. Doesn't seem to do shit, OTA updates do not work on either vehicle.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found wifi connectivity to be completely useless in both my Raptor and Escape with Sync 3. Doesn't seem to do shit, OTA updates do not work on either vehicle.
Same exact experience with every Ford I have owned...Focus St, Focus RS, and not one, but 2 different Mustangs. (OTA updates never seem to work.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
As a general rule, you would do well to turn automatic updates off. Updates are disruptive by nature and even if they are minimally disruptive, they still hang the system. If the update file is corrupted, incomplete or bad and the update begins, it’s likely going to be a long running outage that if you’re lucky, will revert back to the old version, but if it’s poorly done, could brick the system.

The last thing you want is to jump in the truck and instead of enjoying rhythm guitar riffs from ‘Don’t Fear the Reaper’ you’re hearing KO2 tire noise and watching an update screen.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As a general rule, you would do well to turn automatic updates off. Updates are disruptive by nature and even if they are minimally disruptive, they still hang the system. If the update file is corrupted, incomplete or bad and the update begins, it’s likely going to be a long running outage that if you’re lucky, will revert back to the old version, but if it’s poorly done, could brick the system.

The last thing you want is to jump in the truck and instead of enjoying rhythm guitar riffs from ‘Don’t Fear the Reaper’ you’re hearing KO2 tire noise and watching an update screen.

How do you turn off the auto update?

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upside of Sync 3 is its pretty simple. I’ve had it in other cars, so I’m familiar with it. 10 min in the garage going through all the menus and you know 80-90% of it.

You may hear people complain about it, but it is 10x better than a lot of systems out there. The system in my Lexus RCF sounded great, but he menus and interface were total crap. My Sti was terrible in just about every way. (Menus were easy to navigate, but system was garbage.)

The B&O won’t satisfy the audiophiles, but it’s pretty good, and sync is very easy to use, once you gain a little familiarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk