Garage Kept or Outside in the Elements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlh235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many folks keep their Raptors outside in the elements year around. Now I'm speaking more or less to those living where you get all the typles of weather(especially some snow). I'm in Ohio so we get everything. My last 3 vehicles were garage kept...with the Raptor, I have a decision that was kinda made based off that....I chose the Supercab to order because it can fit in my garage(other small reasons, but that's the biggest). The SCREW will not fit. It would have to be kept in the driveway. I'm not worried about Security, but I am worried about the elements over time with truck being so valuable. Is this justified. I've always got good trade in for my vehicles because I do take good care of them. Not sure how much have them garage kept goes with that. I have the 2018 Raptor Supercab on "order" since 22 Dec (no VIN yet...not getting the best info from my dealer either when asking specific questions regarding that)...but the availability of the SCREW is a lot better than the SCAB. If you want a SCAB in ohio, you are gonna have to order. My order was at MSRP but I definitely think that was because of the wait that I'm currently being put through. Still waiting for the truck to even be picked up...dealer said "no movement" when I called last week. Just looking for some opinions on keeping the Raptor outside year around. Thanks.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This, to me, is not a debatable subject.
crawl under an "outside in the elements" vs "garage kept" vehicle
close inspection of longevity of brake lines, fuel lines, virtually everything,
and your conclusion will be obvious

>>>GARAGE KEPT<<< is Best Kept

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep mine outside, won't fit in the garage. Live in Atlanta though. Besides freezing temps I'm not sure inclement weather (ie: snow and ice) has any effect whether it is in the a garage vs outside if it is your daily driver, that is where all the sand and salt comes into play. Sitting in your driveway with snow on it vs. sitting in a garage without snow on it....does it really matter when you take it out every morning?

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the midwest. My current F150 (2016 XLT) is kept in the driveway. Even with building a new house last year, it would be a very tight squeeze to get it into the garage.

But, when I get a Raptor I've decided I'm going to sausage it into the garage (will be 2-3" of clearance on either bumper). Last year's winter was mild, so I didn't worry much about the truck in the driveway. This winter has been not been as kind. Between temperatures hitting the 60s and then two days later in the low teens, the water melting and then freezing again hasn't done my truck any favors. One of the back door handles is "loose", there are several spots on the roof where the weather stripping has popped, and the moonroof is now rattling whenever I hit even the smallest bump. None of these issues were evident back in November, and I've only put 1,200 miles on the truck (mostly highway) since then.

So if you are able to keep your truck in the garage: DO IT.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yea because when you are driving around you are also in the garage.

i think its a nice ideal to keep it in the garage for storage, but unless you are driving it with a cover on it and perfect conditions 24/7. not really changing much.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score

i think its a nice ideal to keep it in the garage for storage, but unless you are driving it with a cover on it and perfect conditions 24/7. not really changing much.

Agreed.

Could just as easily say "Crawl under a truck that's been used hard offroad vs one that hasn't and you'll see a huge difference"

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I keep my Raptor in the garage as it's not my daily driver. Far more secure and while it gets dirty out of the garage, it stays cleaner for the most part not being left outside at night.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think the overall question was more along the lines of, "Is there benefit to keeping a vehicle in a garage?"

My opinion based on observations of my own vehicles (my truck in the driveway, wife's car in the garage) is that there are advantages to keeping a vehicle in a garage, whereas I can't think of a single advantage of having a vehicle exclusively subjected to the elements.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't think of a single advantage of having a vehicle exclusively subjected to the elements.

There isn't. Even if I worked at NASA and was on standby for impending catastrophic asteroid extinction-level events...I'd wait the 3 seconds to open a garage door. I might back in instead of pull in forward tho.

Around here it's ******* hail that's my main concern (southern New Mexico). Trying to build a carport at the very least but that's probably a year off. Wish I had a garage, I'd make it fit.