Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Gaia and Carplay

Discussion in 'Destinations Tips HowTo's and Safety' started by RDFTS, Apr 5, 2021.

1. RDFTS

RDFTS aka Rick Supporting Member

Wonder if anyone else has tried Gaia with Carplay? I tried LeadNav but it does not do Carplay from what I saw.

I was planning on installing a Lowrance or iPad but thinking if Gaia off-road maps work, then I can just use the factory screen. I purchased the premium package so I can download offline maps.

Any lag or delays I need to be concerned with?

[​IMG]

JoeSC, RAPTORZIN and BenBB like this.
  2. SeanM

SeanM FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Used the Gaia / CarPlay app a bunch last Summer and worked great, even in some pretty desolate areas up in the Cascades here. Also have an iPad Pro mounted above running OnX. Nice to have both options.

amREADY likes this.
  3. Punchy OButters

Punchy OButters Member

Used it this weekend and it worked pretty well. I had the vehicle use maps up on the IPAd and then switched to leadnav to test out a little route I planned. I then had Gaia running on my phone going through the apple car play. It was nice to have the details of Gaia but I did feel like it lagged a bit at times. I downloaded the are I was going to be wheeling in before heading out

Found something cool yesterday too, I turned my camera on during a little crawl section down some steps/boulders and as soon as you start moving it automatically went back to the CarPlay screen. Learned something new.

4. PlainJane

PlainJane Full Access Member

I have been using it for years. Best to download the maps to your phone in case you have no service. I use both an Ipad and iphone.