FX4 vs Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was so easy to go that fast! The scary part is the tires aren't rated for that speed so I only got there and backed right off.

Dave

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of info I want to hear. Tks!

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Interesting. I'll be curious if anyone comes on with higher praise for the FX4 and it's off-road capability. There's a stretch of Mosquito Pass (in CO) that I often take a break when I'm mountain biking up and down the pass and that F150's have always done well over this stretch. Often times better than anything else.

I don't think you will find anyone to recommend an fx4 over the Raptor if you plan to keep both mostly stock. None of the Raptor's upgrades over the FX4 will hinder it offroad. The trucks are very similar except the suspension differentials and motor (for the most part, there are many other differences). Everything is in favor of the Raptor with the exception of towing.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 2010 FX4 sold it after I ordered the Raptor. Towing is a big plus in the FX4, the interior I had was alnost identical ro rhis sane seat layout etc. Wen its all said and done towing is the biggest issue. The Raptor has a superior ride more power, awesomeness scale is off tthe charts. Setting towing aside buy a Raptor...

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2010 FX4 sold it after I ordered the Raptor. Towing is a big plus in the FX4, the interior I had was alnost identical ro rhis sane seat layout etc. Wen its all said and done towing is the biggest issue. The Raptor has a superior ride more power, awesomeness scale is off tthe charts. Setting towing aside buy a Raptor...

X2

Dave

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
138mph. I assume you have disabled the speed limiter?

Maybe it's more how confident the Raptor makes you feel off-road?? Until you drive both its hard to describe! I did plenty in my FX4 and it handled everything I threw st it, but I wouldn't have dreamt of doing the things I do in my Raptor in my FX4! A few weeks ago I hit 138-140mph on a dirt road in my Raptor and it felt like 65mph on the hwy! I didn't even go 80mph in my FX4 on the same rd.

Dave

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Excellent discussion! If I go the Raptor way, I just wanted to make sure it was still capable in at least moderate "regular" off-roading. I don't need it for extreme (Bronco type) off-road capability but it would be my all-around exploration vehicle. Wyoming has tons of mountain and desert trails plus I spend a lot of time in the desert southwest.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Excellent discussion! If I go the Raptor way, I just wanted to make sure it was still capable in at least moderate "regular" off-roading. I don't need it for extreme (Bronco type) off-road capability but it would be my all-around exploration vehicle. Wyoming has tons of mountain and desert trails plus I spend a lot of time in the desert southwest.

Well say no more, the Raptor is the vehicle for you and you'll love everything about it.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well say no more, the Raptor is the vehicle for you and you'll love everything about it.

That's why I'm in ultra-saving mode right now. I just have one more hurdle to overcome. I will not be in a position to order until at least next summer or early fall. I'm hoping there will be a 2014 Raptor! Otherwise, I might be in position to order at the end of the 2013 production cycle.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ya that is the worst thing about removing the limeter you don't realize your braken that 100mph mark. It happens so efortlessly and smooth. the farm owns a 2004 f150 I'm not shure on the hours power but I defanatly know the raptor has all of 411+ it's like running a race car with 4 wheel drive.