Future cam phaser issues out of warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to figure out why guys here are having cam phaser issue. I had a 14’ Tremor w/82k miles and never once did I have these issues you guys bitch about. I ask run synthetic oil changes to 5k miles. Just my thoughts is all.
It ain't bitchin, it's a problem that has plagued F150's for years. Your just lucky, I have a 2017 that has been fine until recently. Always ran full synthetic, no tune, oil change every 3500-4000 miles. Just hit 101k and now getting the 85' Peterbuilt rattle. So you're in the "Not Yet" category, hopefully you don't, but the "bitchin" is because every vehicle year Ford says it's fixed then every year the Rattle bug strikes again.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 2019 is at Ford for the Cam phaser problem at 48k miles. What is Ford doing for customers that again have Cam Phaser issues out of warranty? I'm not sure I want to pay the 4k bill for this in the future if this problem comes back.

Not sure how long you plan on having the truck, but if you are going to have it for awhile you should consider the Ford ESP. Flood Ford would still sell you one with an inspection. I had cam phasers at 20k miles and it's just now coming back at 50k miles. I plan to keep my truck for another 3-4 years or so and will rack up about 125k miles, so I bought the extended warranty. It cost about $3k with the options and deductible that I chose. One cam phaser repair pays for it and anything else that might break on the truck. Already had other warranty items fixed under the extended warranty and about to have my moonroof rattle looked at again too. So for me, I believe the warranty will pay for itself. Just the cost of not owning a Toyota, but still wouldn't have it any other way.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a problem with cam phasers anymore, well, the part where they are annoyingly noisy on cold start ups. If you have deep pockets get the R with the v8.

Even 2020 models have had them. I think there are 3 different parts out now and the Ford techs I've seen post say the latest one released in late 2019 looks promising. They also say only about 10% of all ecoboosts ever get the issue. I guess I'm just one of the lucky 10%.

It's also more than just annoying noise on startups. I had power loss and an awful vibration in my dash under low throttle. Things got progressively worse once the first symptoms started.

Last edited:

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to figure out why guys here are having cam phaser issue. I had a 14’ Tremor w/82k miles and never once did I have these issues you guys bitch about. I ask run synthetic oil changes to 5k miles. Just my thoughts is all.

Only about 10% of all ecoboosts get them. Not only the Raptor, Ford also had issues with cam phasers in some of the other engines in the past to include some of the V8s. It's been proven time and again that whether you change your oil early or not or using synthetic has no effect on the issue. It's been going on for decades.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It ain't bitchin, it's a problem that has plagued F150's for years. Your just lucky, I have a 2017 that has been fine until recently. Always ran full synthetic, no tune, oil change every 3500-4000 miles. Just hit 101k and now getting the 85' Peterbuilt rattle. So you're in the "Not Yet" category, hopefully you don't, but the "bitchin" is because every vehicle year Ford says it's fixed then every year the Rattle bug strikes again.

The issue has not “plagued F-150s for years”. Ever time someone starts one of these threads the misinformation and speculation goes off the charts.

The issue only pertains to Gen 2 EcoBoost, which is applicable 2017-2020 F-150/Expedition/Navigator within a specific build date range. Not all vehicles will experience the issue. The redesigned parts have been available since fall of 2019 and correct the issue.

A Customer Satisfaction Program was released for non-HO 3.5 in March with new software to prevent the issue; a Raptor and Navigator program is expected to be released this month per the non-HO bulletin. Ford is also extending the warranty coverage on the phasers as well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only about 10% of all ecoboosts get them. Not only the Raptor, Ford also had issues with cam phasers in some of the other engines in the past to include some of the V8s. It's been proven time and again that whether you change your oil early or not or using synthetic has no effect on the issue. It's been going on for decades.

Where are you coming up with 10%? The issue affects less than 1% of vehicles. The concern being described here has not been “going on for decades”, the engine was new in 2017.

The issue you’re referring to on 5.4 3V is not only completely different, but multi-faceted. Some engines exhibited a knocking noise at idle due to the VCT solenoids. The revised solenoids corrected the issue. Higher mileage engines can exhibit the same type of noise, but it’s the result of lack of maintenance and/or poor quality oil & filters causing damage to the cam journals, which bleeds off phaser oil supply.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even 2020 models have had them. I think there are 3 different parts out now and the Ford techs I've seen post say the latest one released in late 2019 looks promising. They also say only about 10% of all ecoboosts ever get the issue. I guess I'm just one of the lucky 10%.

It's also more than just annoying noise on startups. I had power loss and an awful vibration in my dash under low throttle. Things got progressively worse once the first symptoms started.

There is only one part available, which is the latest service/production level part that corrects the issue.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So my 2019 is at Ford for the Cam phaser problem at 48k miles. What is Ford doing for customers that again have Cam Phaser issues out of warranty? I'm not sure I want to pay the 4k bill for this in the future if this problem comes back.
They are releasing a Customer Satisfaction Program that includes a revised software calibration and extends the warranty coverage on the phasers.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you coming up with 10%? The issue affects less than 1% of vehicles. The concern being described here has not been “going on for decades”, the engine was new in 2017.

The issue you’re referring to on 5.4 3V is not only completely different, but multi-faceted. Some engines exhibited a knocking noise at idle due to the VCT solenoids. The revised solenoids corrected the issue. Higher mileage engines can exhibit the same type of noise, but it’s the result of lack of maintenance and/or poor quality oil & filters causing damage to the cam journals, which bleeds off phaser oil supply.

I stand corrected, just another tech on another forum. Nice to hear the numbers are lower.

I realize the engine we are talking about here is a much more narrow scope, I was referring to the fact that more engines have had issues with the timing and I would assume all manufacturers have some sort of failure percentage. My point was the Raptor isn't a lemon in general and Ford isn't the only one with problems.